New Sixers Arena

Moderator: sentinelhyder

rob630

New Sixers Arena

Post by rob630 »

Just weighing in on the proposed new Sixers arena at 10th & Market for the 2031 season

I'm a bit on the fence about it. The IDEA of having a sports arena downtown sounds really cool. But is it really feasible?

Positives include the exciting vibe it brings to the city on game day, employment opportunities for people living there, economic benefit to local businesses. Negatives include possibly not providing adequate parking, traffic stress in/out, possibly having to take one or more trains, crime concerns.

For people such as myself, coming from the burbs or farther, it obviously would be less convenient taking a train or more, instead of just driving right to the arena as we do now in South Philly.

Many other cities do it, so not saying it can't be done. I remember years ago going to a game at the old Tigers stadium, which was in the sketchiest part of town. But that did not deter fans from going.

I kind of hope it happens. It would just be an adjustment for some people.
philly_curse

Re: New Sixers Arena

Post by philly_curse »

Not crazy about it, even though I am curious what a downtown stadium experience would look like in Philadelphia. I know this is supposed to be privately funded, but i am leary the taxpayer is going to end up subsidizing this venture in some shape or form. Theres some big needs....

- SEPTA would need to expand service for all regional rail lines on game nights. BSL and MFL don't cut it. Imagine getting stuck in the city because you missed the evening's last train out of town.

- Heavy, heavy investment in parking garages – the people who are used to driving will likely want to continue to do so until they realize how horrific traffic is going to be.

– Stadium management needs to figure out how to supplement the 41 home sixers games: concerts, other sports, etc. And they'll be in direct competition with the WFC. Otherwise, job creation is no better than a department store that's already there. I provide sources on this.
Buff

Post by Buff »

philly_curse wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:05 pm Not crazy about it, even though I am curious what a downtown stadium experience would look like in Philadelphia. I know this is supposed to be privately funded, but i am leary the taxpayer is going to end up subsidizing this venture in some shape or form. Theres some big needs....

- SEPTA would need to expand service for all regional rail lines on game nights. BSL and MFL don't cut it. Imagine getting stuck in the city because you missed the evening's last train out of town.

- Heavy, heavy investment in parking garages – the people who are used to driving will likely want to continue to do so until they realize how horrific traffic is going to be.

– Stadium management needs to figure out how to supplement the 41 home sixers games: concerts, other sports, etc. And they'll be in direct competition with the WFC. Otherwise, job creation is no better than a department store that's already there. I provide sources on this.
I prefer public transit in every single city.

I don't do public transit in Philly since it's so bad.

Example, 2008 I took the train from Newark DE for the Phillies parade. Didn't get back until late evening as they transferred everyone to buses.

2018, I drove into Philly for the Eagles parade. Parked by Drexel and walked. No issues and was out of the city in under an hour after the parade passed by.

The only thing that's doable for me from Delaware by public transit now is a Phillies weekday day game. Everything else doesn't work.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

In.

This will usher in a whole new train system to service center city. It will help spur more development in the city bringing more and better amenities.

I see a lot of people judging the arena by the way things are, now, vs how they'd be in 2031. You can't project issues from now 8-9 years into the future.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

76ers have begun to be aggressive in pursuit of this project. Apparently, they're moving to purchase the old Greyhound Bus Station as a part of an expansion of their original idea. I wonder if it's for the arena or to facilitate better public transportation.