The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm Harper's surgery is today, so we'll soon have more clarity on how much of 2023 regular season he's expected to miss.
Let's hope he returns in June

Jim Salisbury
@JSalisburyNBCS
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Bryce Harper had Tommy John surgery today and it went "very well." Could be back hitting competitively by mid-May.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Really don't want to see two months of Vierling & Hall playing regularly, even if the regular season matters far less than usual with three wild cards.

An idea that still intrigues me is signing Trea Turner AND bringing back Segura (maybe a one-year deal with mutual option). Then you have all kinds of lineups you can play around with. I think Segura has a couple good seasons left. He was nowhere near 100% the final two months. The guy just hits when he's healthy.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

More of the same:

[Philadelphia Phillies star Bryce Harper underwent successful Tommy John surgery Wednesday, according to NBC Sports Philly's Jim Salisbury.

The 30-year-old reportedly could return to competitive hitting by the middle of next May.]

I would have to imagine he spends the bulk of 2023 as the Phillies' DH. He can bat that soon, he sure as hell can't throw, especially uncorking throws to the plate.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Per the Philies

“The prognosis is for Bryce to be returning as the designated hitter by the All-Star break of 2023 with a possible return to play right field towards the end of the regular season.”
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Really wish they could chase the Japanese on-base machine (although with Turner) as a way to change the look of the offense. But Yoshida can only play left field.

So, at this very early moment, Castellanos/Schwarber rotate at DH in the first half of the season and then have to play everyday in the outfield corners when Harper returns. Listen, that got us to the World Series, but I'm not sure that aspect of "running it back" is the wisest course of action. Especially when it also comes in conjunction with a final year of Hoskins at DH. I just don't know if you swap out Segura, find a way into the postseason and try to replicate the magic of winning three series in which you start on the road.

I don't know the best answer. I just hope it doesn't involve a shit-ton of Vierling/Hall/Maton. Because the other thing that means is that they have NO DEPTH in the first half of the season if/when someone else goes down. What they could really use is a utilityman with an above-average bat who doesn't hurt you if he must play every day and who can let them cycle Hoskins/Castellanos/Schwarber through DH in the first half of the season.

The OTHER problem is that, given his 2022 workload, you would ideally let Realmuto DH once or even twice per week in the first half, but that either bumps a good bat to the bench or a bad glove to the field more often.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Is Brandon Drury a guy they should take a look at for the bench, or do you just go all in and trust Maton at this point?

(Or maybe you figure Drury can soak up more of the at-bats that will unfortunately fall to Vierling, who I simply don't think should get 300 at bats)

I guess the other thing I'm forgetting is that Simón Muzziotti will make a real push to make the bench out of spring training, and he has a bigger upside than Vierling.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

The game is going to be different next season with the changes that are going to go into effect. A premium will be placed on speed and defense. Adding Turner, a better glove at 1B and an OF who has a good OBP and can run are more important than adding another three outcomes bat.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Oh, I agree Skyjack.

The weird part about this offseason is that I'm essentially already ASSUMING they sign Trea Turner and try to figure out what moves they make beyond that. Right now we're looking at a first half of:

C Realmuto
1B Hoskins
2B Stott
SS Turner
3B Bohm
LF Schwarber
CF Marsh
RF Vierling/Castellanos
DH Castellanos/Hall

Bench: Stubbs, Hall/Vierling, Maton, Sosa, Guthrie

The big concern is depth. It will be interesting to see how it's addressed.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Read that another option the Phillies are considering for the first half is:

1B Bohm
3B Sosa
DH Hoskins

It would be putting it mildly to say that I hate that idea. I leaves Schwarber and Castellanos in the corners full time. Sosa is not an everyday player. It screws around with Bohm, whose defense has improved considerably. Plus I assume he'd go back and forth and play 3B on days when someone else is DH and Hoskins is at 1B. If your best idea is Hoskins at DH, maybe you're admitting Hoskins doesn't have a spot. I wouldn't expect them to move anyone from Hoskins/Castellanos/Schwarber at this point, given that they're already down Harper, but this seems like the least-inspired idea. If we're resigned to one more year of Hoskins, keep him at first.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Christopher wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:27 pm Read that another option the Phillies are considering for the first half is:

1B Bohm
3B Sosa
DH Hoskins

It would be putting it mildly to say that I hate that idea. I leaves Schwarber and Castellanos in the corners full time. Sosa is not an everyday player. It screws around with Bohm, whose defense has improved considerably. Plus I assume he'd go back and forth and play 3B on days when someone else is DH and Hoskins is at 1B. If your best idea is Hoskins at DH, maybe you're admitting Hoskins doesn't have a spot. I wouldn't expect them to move anyone from Hoskins/Castellanos/Schwarber at this point, given that they're already down Harper, but this seems like the least-inspired idea. If we're resigned to one more year of Hoskins, keep him at first.
agree bad plan