The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by Christopher »

I think there might be a wrong perception that Schwarber was a driving force behind being leadoff.

The Red Sox had some success with it, and last year it just kind of "stuck" for the Phillies because there were so many injuries and lineup changes that at least it gave them one aspect of consistency (and, yes, allowed many games to begin with a bang).

But I don't think it's something they'll be wedded to next year at all. Especially in the first third of the season, when they'll be fiddling a lot with no-Harper lineups.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Mets sign Robertson 1/10
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Despite the high-profile failures, I think he did more good than bad for the Phillies, and I'm not sure how well they would have navigated that late-summer period of no Dominguez without him.

The Mets really wanted him at the deadline, and some teams saw their failure to land him from the Cubs as emblematic of the team's overall lack of aggressiveness in getting better, which may have contributed to their stumble and ultimate loss of the division.

All that said, I think this is an overpay and it doesn't even feel like an area of need for the Mets.
Wouldn't mind a veteran arm and I wouldn't have hated this at half the price for the Phillies, because I think overuse was a big part of his problem.
But at this point it's just thanks, David, and adios.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Obviously Nimmo is the bigger Mets news, (1) because he's back and very good, and (2) because it's clear -- if there was ever a doubt -- that Cohen is just going to keep spending and has probably only been enraged further by the Phillies' pennant and Middleton's spending.

I would expect that the Mets will ALSO now sign Kodai Senga, at which point I think the Phillies are again the clear #3 team in the division. This roster doesn't really touch the Braves or Mets rosters, talent-wise, over 162 games.

So hopefully Middleton stays just as motivated as Cohen. I'd say the chance is like 1%, but the biggest FU he could do in this arms race with the Mets right now is to sign Rodon. Then, when Painter arrives in the second half, you send Suarez back to the bullpen and make it one of the best pens in baseball. (PS: I'm not actually in favor of doing this)
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I wouldn't rule out the Phillies & Mets essentially making a challenge "trade" and the Phillies signing Adam Ottavino
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Middleton should give Dombrowski the go-ahead to bid high on Senga.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Chris Bassitt -- who has a QO attached -- has been Instagramming pictures from Philadelphia today.

Probably nothing.
But one wonders if Midds is just going to sit back and let Cohen keep spending alone.

And, again, we have ZERO idea where things stand with Nola. If he's looking for Gerrit Cole money, then maybe you look for a spending combination of going for the whole enchilada in 2023 but still having veteran pitching for 2024.

Wheeler
Suarez
Painter/Abel/McGarry
Walker
Bassitt

could certainly be competitive for 2024, with this offense
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Ok, apparently the Bassitt thing is debunked.
But I think the reason it was intriguing is because, IF the Phillies were going to give out one more BIG contract, starting pitcher would be the most interesting place to do so, for reasons.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Ok. Well I will not be happy if Rhys is still on this team to be hitting 5th in that starting lineup by opening day.

How about that, huh? Lol.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think a balanced, two-prong approach is right for the offseason.

Part 1: The Phillies were aggressive & got their first-choice guys of Turner, Walker and Strahm

Part 2: Wait out the rest of the market for some late-winter bargains as guys become desperate and/or prefer to latch on with World Series contender.

We need 2-3 more arms and probably a bench guy, but I'm content with waiting for bargains instead of overpaying for those spots.