Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

headclown

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:25 am Phillies taking with reliever Mychal Givens.

Because they need to add multiple arms and, more importantly, multiple big bats, I am OK if they don't throw big money at a "closer" (or, worse, trade Segura for one.) Let's add multiple quality arms to the pen and see how it all shakes out.
He is a depth guy, but not sure he is a difference maker.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Right now, given their track record on picking relievers, I'd rather see them try to build depth than spend $15M on a 9th inning closer.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Phillies pursuing Pirates CF Brian Reynolds in a trade.
Price would be extremely high.
I want to go "all in" right now with Bryce Harper.
But a worry is that Dombrowski is going to use those young pitchers as the chips to go all in.

If you're going to do this, there's no window after the Harper window closes. So pair this with other big moves. Gimme a second big bat, plus someone like Stroman.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm Phillies pursuing Pirates CF Brian Reynolds in a trade.
Price would be extremely high.
I want to go "all in" right now with Bryce Harper.
But a worry is that Dombrowski is going to use those young pitchers as the chips to go all in.

If you're going to do this, there's no window after the Harper window closes. So pair this with other big moves. Gimme a second big bat, plus someone like Stroman.
That would be a very interesting move and one that would cost a shit ton. But Reynolds is just entering arbitration, so he does have 3 years of control. I dont know if I would give up any of the big 3 though, so pretty sure it can not happen.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

If all they want is Stott and other pieces not named Abel and Painter, you absolutely do it.
But I don't think that's nearly enough.
I fear those Abel/Painter chips are burning a hole in Dom's pocket, and he sees that as the path to make this team a contender during the Harper window.

He's not wrong. They need to get this team to the playoffs NOW. It's a shame the organization is so shitty that trading first-round pitching prospects is one of the few ways to do it.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Young starting pitching,unproven at the big league level is way overrated in this day and age of “openers,middle guys,and closers”
See Tampa Bay. Abel and Painter are nothing more than pipe dreams,Reynolds is a budding controllable. Superstar.
Waiting for Dumbo to make a big time deal
With the NL MVP and arguably the best pitcher in the NL,to not go all in in 2022 would be tantamount to malfeasance and incompetence
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Aaron Loup, lefty reliever the Phillies had been considering, gets 2/17 from the Angels.

The Phillies need relievers, but with so many needs to spend on, they cannot afford to spend that kind of coin on them IMO.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 pm Aaron Loup, lefty reliever the Phillies had been considering, gets 2/17 from the Angels.

The Phillies need relievers, but with so many needs to spend on, they cannot afford to spend that kind of coin on them IMO.
Understood, but they have been poor at finding bargain basement standouts

Need Seranthony to be healthy and good next year
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Christopher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 pm Aaron Loup, lefty reliever the Phillies had been considering, gets 2/17 from the Angels.

Not to beat dead horses but was just looking over the FA pool for RPs they had a few solid guys they just let walk who signed for pretty cheap else where. Alvarez, Parker and Watson all had decent years. Sucks that prioritizing the managers "guys" like Hale while letting Parker and Alvarez go and trying to save a few bucks with Kintzler keeping him over Watson. Pen probably goes from really bad to closer to average with that. Oh well.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Not bring back Alvarez, especially, made zero sense to me. And the Giants got him for 2 years, $2.5M total.