2023 Phillies Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

Michael Jack

Re: 2023 Phillies Discussion (Andrew Painter breaking news)

Post by Michael Jack »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:36 pm Exactly. Why wait?
I said this at the time and got ripped by some here, but then I remembered that Aaron Nola was able to avoid surgery. He's the only one I can think of that was able to do it and most of the time that doesn't work, but I'm OK with him trying.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Jake Cave playing 1B at AAA tonight
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

ugh

Matt Winkelman
@Matt_Winkelman

Did just a bit of poking around, and Realmuto's offensive numbers definitely have declined, but much less than it feels or looks like. What have declined is his defense. Baseball Prospectus had him at +16 in 2021 and +10 in 2022, his currently at -2.3.

Matt Winkelman
@Matt_Winkelman

He is a net zero on throwing runs, close to net zero on blocking. This year he is a -3 on framing. Among the 46 catchers with at least 2000 pitches caught, that is 35th.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:22 pm Jake Cave playing 1B at AAA tonight
I think he's played there in his career. Why not? Hall isn't the answer. Clemons and Sosa are good bench pieces, but not every day players. Cave probably isn't either, but a good idea if Harper can't play 1B, I'm starting to think Cody Bellinger might be a good target if the price isn't too crazy. He can play the OF if Harper can handle 1B and 1B if he can't.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

my recollection re painter was that an MRI showed no structural damage. if that was the case months ago, i don't believe they should have recommend TJ surgery at the time. the question is what happened since then.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

sentinelhyder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:53 pm my recollection re painter was that an MRI showed no structural damage. if that was the case months ago, i don't believe they should have recommend TJ surgery at the time. the question is what happened since then.
Despite the results of the MRI, Painter says he still feels discomfort. I think that's why they are moving forward with the surgery. The fact is, almost every pitcher has TJ surgery these days. IOf he ends up being in the rotation sometime in 2025, he'll still only be 22 years old.
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

Michael Jack wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:10 pm
sentinelhyder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:53 pm my recollection re painter was that an MRI showed no structural damage. if that was the case months ago, i don't believe they should have recommend TJ surgery at the time. the question is what happened since then.
Despite the results of the MRI, Painter says he still feels discomfort. I think that's why they are moving forward with the surgery. The fact is, almost every pitcher has TJ surgery these days. IOf he ends up being in the rotation sometime in 2025, he'll still only be 22 years old.

Figures from 2021 had about 34% of MLB pitchers having had Tommy John surgery.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Not quite, SH. The MRI revealed a UCL sprain. A sprain in a tear, the degree is the key. A sprain would qualify as structural damage. The question would be whether there has been any healing of the tear and the amount of pain he feels. If the sprain isn't healing, then surgery is the only recourse.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Griff McGarry's last start at Reading: 7 IP | 3 H | 0 ER | 0 BB | 10 K

If he's figured out his control issues, he suddenly becomes very interesting.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Winkelman
@Matt_Winkelman
The bullpen right now has
3 locks - Strahm, Kimbrel, Soto
3 No Options - Hoffman, Covey, Vasquez
2 Has Options - Bellatti, Marte
Have to fit Dominguez in tomorrow, Song later this week, and Alvarado eventually.

=====

Dominguez in, Covey out
Song in, Bellatti optioned
Alvarado decision can wait -- but if it's before Sept. 1, you just do Marte for a few days and then bring him back when rosters expand