2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Phillies scouting Jordan Montgomery

Maybe it is fools gold, but Sanchez has been fine. Not sure that adding a starter is a high priority.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:39 pm Phillies scouting Jordan Montgomery

Maybe it is fools gold, but Sanchez has been fine. Not sure that adding a starter is a high priority.
Gotta believe RH bat more important than a 4/5 starter.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The starting pitcher situation is tricky.
I'm Team Sanchez, too.
However, if someone goes down for 2-3 weeks, the options are (1) Bailey Falter, (2) bullpen games when we can least afford to tax the bullpen
They should look into an extremely minor trade for someone's Quad-A starting pitcher and stash him at Triple A.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I love how the trade rumors sites portray some of these players. Did you know the Phils were interested in a slugger from the Mets? Yeah. Tommy Pham.
Did you also know that multiple reports have the Phillies very interested in an all-star OF? Yep Adam Duvall, who has made exactly one all star game and that was seven years ago. I love Dave Dombrowski and what he's done for the Phillies, but I'm fearful he might trade a good prospect for someone like those two. I would set my heights higher.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think it's going to be the opposite. You get what you pay for.
They're not moving Abel, McGarry, Crawford, etc. So they won't get an impact player.

They'll trade prospects in the 12 to 25 range (which is "meh" range for the not-deep Phillies farm) and get a rental platoon bat. Which at least will be better than Harrison and probably Cave.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Some Verlander may be traded to Texas buzz on twitter - but nothing so far from legit sources

Update - Scherzer, not Verlander

Andy Martino
@martinonyc

The Mets and Texas Rangers are in serious talks on a Max Scherzer trade. This deal is not done. There are hurdles to be crossed.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Deal agreed to - Max has to waive his no trade still
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Wow.

Scherzer will absolutely opt-in to his $43 million deal next year in Texas, so they're going to have quite the payroll.

Now the Mets set off a mad bidding war for Justin Verlander for the next 72 hours. Some desperate/dumb will pay a very high price to
pay Verlander $78 million over 2024 and 2025.

Mets will certainly get some very good prospects out of this. But there's almost no road for them to contend now in 2024. Even if they give Ohtani $700 million (and I don't think they're in the Top 3 contenders), that rotation is pretty sad sack.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Phillies' last 10 games of the season:

7 vs. the Mets
3 vs. the Pirates
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Cohen just setting money on fire in the streets...

The Rangers and Mets have agreed to a trade that will see the star right-hander Max Scherzer head to Texas, with prospect Luisangel Acuña heading the other way. The Mets are paying down all but $22.5MM of the remaining money owed to Scherzer, who will waive his no-trade clause. He will also trigger his player option for 2024, forgoing his opt-out opportunity.