2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Post by Christopher »

I doubt it happens, but one way to jolt the roster right at the deadline would be a series of deals that involves trading Nola. They'd need to get a SP somewhere else to fill the gap for the rest of the season, but why not? It's not reasonable to assume Nola is the key to winning the wild card and the slim chance of winning in October. I'd be just as content to take our chances with Wheeler-Walker-Suarez in October.
Vegas Eagle Fan

Post by Vegas Eagle Fan »

Christopher wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:52 pm I doubt it happens, but one way to jolt the roster right at the deadline would be a series of deals that involves trading Nola. They'd need to get a SP somewhere else to fill the gap for the rest of the season, but why not? It's not reasonable to assume Nola is the key to winning the wild card and the slim chance of winning in October. I'd be just as content to take our chances with Wheeler-Walker-Suarez in October.
I agree with moving Nola. He turned down a $100M extension in May and I know the Phils said they would revisit at the end of the year. He has been inconsistent and gives up those early runs too often. It might be time to start bringing up Abel or another starter from the minors to be the 5th starter or long middle relief. I'm sure they would rather wait for Sept call-ups for that to happen. Selling Nola now may be the best thing, which in a way, would make Philly, sellers in a subtle way and might bring some better bench players or prospects.
Any idea what the Phillies could get for him?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think you could certainly get one prospect who ranks 5-10 on some team's list for him. Maybe it's a pitcher. Maybe it's an outfielder who give us depth to trade from. Heck, getting a young 1B wouldn't be the worst thing. Most organizations have way more depth at 1B than the Phillies.

It could be that the Phillies shopping for SP isn't related to Sanchez, but is in instead to find a deal to immediately replace Nola.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

It's hard to think about moving a player like Nola, who's been so good for so long, but do the Phils think they can sign him? Should they sign him? He's not old, but he's thrown a lot of innings without really getting hurt. Maybe the timing is right. Despite his inconsistency, he's still a good pitcher right now, but is a five or six year deal wise? It wouldn't hurt to float his name out there and see what the interest level is.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Christopher wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:52 pm I doubt it happens, but one way to jolt the roster right at the deadline would be a series of deals that involves trading Nola. They'd need to get a SP somewhere else to fill the gap for the rest of the season, but why not? It's not reasonable to assume Nola is the key to winning the wild card and the slim chance of winning in October. I'd be just as content to take our chances with Wheeler-Walker-Suarez in October.
wheeler walker suarez does not get you to October. Unless they get a big bat, and even then it would be tough.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Here are the top seven payrolls in MLB:
1. Mets
2. Yankees
3. Padres
4. Rangers
5. Phillies
6. Dodgers
7. Angels.

So, whose making the playoffs? Forget about the top 3. The Rangers are in unless they have a monumental collapse. The Phillies probably go down to the last weekend of the season. This is not the same team as last year. Sure, Stott is better, Bohm is around the same, Castellanos had a great first half, but now looks like the 2022 Casty, which wasn't good, and everyone else in the lineup is worse than last year. The payroll and the ballpark indicates the Phils should hit a lot of homers, but they will probably finish with 50 less than last season. The Dodgers are making the playoffs, but probably won't go deep and the Angels have been aggressive, but they are no lock.

It's not the amount of money a team spends, but HOW they spend it.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Michael Jack wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:35 pm It's hard to think about moving a player like Nola, who's been so good for so long, but do the Phils think they can sign him? Should they sign him? He's not old, but he's thrown a lot of innings without really getting hurt. Maybe the timing is right. Despite his inconsistency, he's still a good pitcher right now, but is a five or six year deal wise? It wouldn't hurt to float his name out there and see what the interest level is.
I think his odds of returning next year are less than 5%
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

sentinelhyder wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:36 pm
wheeler walker suarez does not get you to October. Unless they get a big bat, and even then it would be tough.
Like, I said, in the small chance they trade Nola, I think they'd orchestrate it with also acquiring another -- possibly controllable -- starting pitcher.
The way Nola has pitched this year, you really only need about a #3 quality starter to replace what he's given the team.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Something to remember: The Phillies have operated extremely quietly the past two years. They are a no-leaks organization.

So maybe nothing happens.
Maybe something huge happens.

Either way, we're unlikely to hear much buzz until the moment it happens.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I feel like all the rumors we're seeing out there are from writers asking other teams who the Phillies are interested in. If you notice, there hasn't really been anything new in three weeks. No one saw the deadline deals last year until they happened. Dombrowski will do something. I just hope he doesn't give up a good prospect for a rental.