2023 Phillies Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2023 Phillies Discussion

Post by Christopher »

Sticky stuff suspension looming for Padres' Suarez.
He probably never should have been on the mound for the big HR by Harper last year.
At least he cashed in with $30M offseason deal.

Edit: I'm sorry, he has $46M guaranteed. What were the Padres thinking, tacking on two $8M player options to serve as the 4th and 5th years at the end of a 3/30 deal? Do not give relievers over age 30 with 47 career IP the equivalent of a 5/46 deal, FFS. (But good for him for getting set for life thanks to those 47 innings.)
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:11 pm Ohtani gets just four outs today before leaving game with arm fatigue.
I would say that odds of him pitching in Philadelphia are less than 5%.

He'll still get his $500M and he'll deserve it, but the team landing him must have a very intricate plan for a six-man rotation and keeping him fresh.
Done for the year as a pitcher and if he has to get surgery, probably not pitching next year

and Trout going back on the IL. Just been a disaster for them since the deadline
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Awful news for both Ohtani and Major League Baseball.
I mean, in reality, he's already financially set for life even before a rumored half-billion-dollar deal, so we need to put his personal setback in perspective.

But he's one of the most fun and fascinating figures in baseball, and the game is less without him on the field.

As for Trout, I think this weirdly boosts that the chances that he ends up on the Phillies sometime in the next three years. Angels do a complete teardown, eat a big part of the money in his deal, and send him to the Philly for Wheeze Kids 2.0
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Christopher wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:32 pm Awful news for both Ohtani and Major League Baseball.
I mean, in reality, he's already financially set for life even before a rumored half-billion-dollar deal, so we need to put his personal setback in perspective.

But he's one of the most fun and fascinating figures in baseball, and the game is less without him on the field.

As for Trout, I think this weirdly boosts that the chances that he ends up on the Phillies sometime in the next three years. Angels do a complete teardown, eat a big part of the money in his deal, and send him to the Philly for Wheeze Kids 2.0
At 36? No
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think the Phillies should approach Wheeler this winter about a big-money three-year extension for 2025, 2026, 2027.

Those would be his age 35, 36, 37 seasons. Pitchers of his caliber tend to still be strong in those years.

I don't care if it's an overpay; he's been underpaid throughout this 5-year deal, relative to value. Offer him 3/100. He's worth it.

Having him for 4 more seasons would also solidify some answers about the long-term future of this rotation. I don't know how this core continues to contend if it loses Nola this winter and Wheeler the following winter.

They can't afford to let him become a free agent and test the market.