The absurdity of a lockout

Moderator: Christopher

awfulstack

The absurdity of a lockout

Post by awfulstack »

Not normally care about stuff like but anyone else think baseball having a lockout(and what could be a long one), is really a bad case of not reading the room?

Baseball TV Ratings way down.
Youth Participation in baseball way down.
Attendance(obviously Covid had an effect here), way down.

Just seems like having a lockout for a game that is showing some concerning signs is really short term thinking here all the way around.
Skyjack

Re: The absurdity of a lockout

Post by Skyjack »

All true. Baseball has fallen to the status of being a sport that bridges the winter ones to the fall football seasons. The big deal that once was spring training has been superseded by the excitement over spring break in any warm clime. The NFL spring draft generates several weeks of excitement that carries over until it's training camps open. Baseball....meh. A boring four plus hour waste of time for most Americans.
headclown

Post by headclown »

I have always loved baseball, still do. But as I said before, this is very ignorant by the players and the owners...read the room gentlemen...if this lasts past February, they run the risk of really losing fans...people dont like greedy right now. Especially with all the inflation, imagine what a beer or dog will cost you now at a game. The economics of the game have gotten ridiculously stupid due to greed and it will only get worse until they realize they have oversold their hand.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

My interest in baseball is not what it once was and that became clear to me during the pandemic when I wasn't missing it that much. Rooting for a crappy org with no shot to win anything hasn't helped

They can be locked out forever for all I care
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

HC, the revenue coming into MLB from television contracts alone is twice what it gets from gate receipts. Sources for 2019 mage it approximately $4.2B versus $2.3B or so. Fans in the park are becoming nothing more than a live audience for a television broadcast.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Baseball is making almost zero effort to get something done....It is disgusting, thousounds of other peoples lives depend on baseball to make their living. There is 45 day until pitchers and catchers report and these assholes are not even talking.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

headclown wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:02 am Baseball is making almost zero effort to get something done....It is disgusting, thousounds of other peoples lives depend on baseball to make their living. There is 45 day until pitchers and catchers report and these assholes are not even talking.

No shot of a resolution before mid-March
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

It's arrogant, asinine & self destructive. F em.

It'll never happen, but this time, the fans need to organize and boycott the game to make the point to these owners. And make no mistake, this is strictly the owners.
headclown

Post by headclown »

one thing seems certain coming out of the first negotiation the other day...the DH is coming and most likely expanded playoffs.

They need to get this done soon...I need my hot stove fix and Spring Training.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Players Association expected to make a counteroffer today, I believe