Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

BelmontShore
Site Admin

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by BelmontShore »

This is outstanding. More of this please.

The Phillies are adding one of the top prospects in Venezuela to their farm system.

According to industry sources, the club has agreed to an estimated $2.2 million deal with shortstop William Bergolla, the No. 4 prospect on MLB.com’s Top 50 International Prospects list.
headclown

Post by headclown »

They now have a ton of SS in the system...but if SS hit, they are usually position flexible. Even Stott my eventually be a 2nd baseman.
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

BelmontShore wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:32 pm This is outstanding. More of this please.
Phils were busy Saturday signing 8 :

Jim Salisbury
Sat, January 15, 2022, 5:42 PM

Phillies sign Latin American prospects, including top shortstop originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

The Phillies were active as the window for signing international prospects who have reached the age of 16 opened on Saturday.

The club, as expected, signed Venezuelan shortstop William Bergolla Jr. for $2.2 million.

Bergolla is 17 years old. MLB.com rates him as the fourth-best international prospect while Baseball America rates him No. 8. Bergolla has earned strong scouting grades for his offense and defense. His instincts and baseball IQ also get high marks.

Bergolla's father, William Sr., is a former middle infielder and played briefly in the majors with the Cincinnati Reds in 2005.

The Phils struck deals with several other players and are expected to continue to do so in the days and weeks ahead.

Here are some of the players the Phillies locked up on Day 1 of the international signing period, according to industry sources:

William Bergolla Jr., SS, Venezuela

Romel Mendez, CF, Venezuela

Aaron Escobar, 2B, Venezuela

Enrique Segura, RHP, Dominican Republic

Jeffrey German, RHP, Dominican Republic

Edwar Chirinos, LHP, Venezuela

Neify Rosario, OF, Dominican Republic

Leny Carela, SS, Dominican Republic

Manolfi Jimenez, CF, Dominican Republic

Nolan Beltran, SS, Columbia
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

MLB.com: Considered one of the top players out of Venezuela in this year’s class, Bergolla has a chance to be an everyday starter in the future because of his all-around game.

He already shows solid bat-to-ball skills and an advanced approach and understanding of the strike zone. He shows line-drive power, and more pop is expected to come as he develops and his body matures.

Bergolla shows good footwork, soft hands, and a strong enough arm to keep him at the position as he makes his way through the Minor Leagues. He has solid range and good baseball instincts. He’s been praised for his baseball IQ and awareness on both sides of the ball.

Here's a pic: https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/sta ... 8493282310
headclown

Post by headclown »

Is there something that am I missing? Bryson Stott is only #93 on the list of top prospect in baseball. After the year he had and then his AFL performance, I would have thought he would have been thought of more prominantly. He is really close to MLB ready and I would have thought he was in the top 50 at worst case.
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

headclown wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:39 am Is there something that am I missing? Bryson Stott is only #93 on the list of top prospect in baseball. After the year he had and then his AFL performance, I would have thought he would have been thought of more prominantly. He is really close to MLB ready and I would have thought he was in the top 50 at worst case.
Age is part of it, he's 24 years old already, and position. He's a SS who may not stay at the position in Major Leagues.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

So, when the lockout ends (probably in about 3 weeks), it's going to be a FA frenzy with the Phillies still having a shitload of work to do:

They need, in order of priority: CF, LF, RP, DH, probably one more SP

Best remaining FA who fill Phillies' needs (either because of position, or because you could shuffle other guys around)
-- Correa
-- Bryant
-- Castellanos
-- Schwarber
-- Seiya Suzuki
-- Soler
-- Conforto
-- Kikuchi
-- Rosario
-- McCutchen and/or Miller could be re-signed

One thing that will be interesting is whether any trades can be swung at this point. Nothing has stopped GMs from being able to talk behind the scenes, so it's feasible. But it's hard to know what to count on.

I think the most disappointing thing is that I don't see a good path toward a CF at this point (yet again), so I'm hoping for a surprise there, and I'm hoping the surprise isn't Kevin Kiermaier
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:59 am

I think the most disappointing thing is that I don't see a good path toward a CF at this point (yet again), so I'm hoping for a surprise there, and I'm hoping the surprise isn't Kevin Kiermaier
Ricky Otero is going to be the CF
-
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 am

-
Sadly, that's not even the bottom-ranked option.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:19 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 am

-
Sadly, that's not even the bottom-ranked option.
Revere?
Amaro Jr?
Haseley?

Am I getting warmer?