2024 Eagles Offseason Thread - Smith Extension(4/15/24)

Moderator: FolesMVP09

BelmontShore
Site Admin

Re: 2024 Eagles Offseason Thread

Post by BelmontShore »

Klingbury/Fangio will be a disaster, I fear.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sirianni seems to have talked Howie into "guys who are older and more experienced than me," BUT guys who are either too incompetent or too old to represent internal threats to my head coaching positions.

Seems like a cluster.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:35 pm Just not happy with this at all.

I was a fan of Fangio but the idea of continuing with a bend don't break scheme isn't appealing. OCs have figured it out, they preach patience and taking what is given for long drives and advantages in TOP.

There's a reason the 4 defenses remaining are all high pressure, in your face, blitzing pressing, attacking defenses.

The Eagles vowed to be ahead of the curve, they have fallen dramatic behind and they are arrogant and ignorant about it. Same with the offensive scheme.
I was hoping to go a different scheme but Fangio did have Miami’s defense playing well even with guys like Jalen Ramsey, Howard, Chubb missing big parts of the season.

I am cautiously optimistic he at least will bring a semblance of the various defensive parts being more in sync.

I also get why they went with a veteran coach; the defense is going to be a tough job and the coaching was so bad last year.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Fangio was the guy they wanted even last year before he left for Miami. I'm ok with it.

They could have brought in Batman for all I care. As long as they have a guy who can teach how to properly tackle.
jrollin24

Post by jrollin24 »

You can't have someone new to the role like Desai with how young that group projects to be next year, assuming Cox, Graham, and Bradberry are gone.

Fine with Vic, and there's stability there as he is not going to be a HC again.

For the offense, you need a fresh mind. Reich's offensive scheme doesn't move the needle for me, especially being so tied into Siranni in the past. Fresh ideas needed.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Caldwell interviewing for the LB coaches job. that would be a very good move, provided he gets some talent.
phtown

Post by phtown »

Also nonplussed with Fangio. Many Dolphins are celebrating his moving on. One CB posted an unlocked emoji. He probably wasn't allowed within 10 yards of the LOS.

This top down philosophy of bend but don't break on defense and exclusively hunt explosive plays on offense is a passive approach that fails against elite competition.

I would prefer an emphasis on getting off blocks and making tackles instead of declaring victory because no one got behind you.
Fangio will likely improve the defense somewhat and I hope he can persuade Howie to draft some fundamentally sound defenders. But this defense will ultimately resign itself to playing second fiddle to Hurts. Not a good mentality. And not a good match for this fanbase.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Kellen Moore is the OC.

I like it, and expect more Jalen under center next year.

Good hires imo overall
Jamesj30t

Post by Jamesj30t »

Okay so its DC Vic Fangio who they wanted to hire last year and OC Kellen Moore. Sounds promising.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Adding DC experience with Hurtt as the DL coach is quite a get.

Anxious to hear something good about a QB coach.