2022 Eagles Offseason Discussion

Moderator: FolesMVP09

Vegas Eagle Fan

Re: 2022 Eagles Offseason Discussion

Post by Vegas Eagle Fan »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 pm
Christopher wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm
Vegas Eagle Fan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:43 pm If Philly would have maintained a draft pick within the first 10 picks, I think they would have targeted a QB. If available, I would still like to see them move up and take one, as I don't think Hurts is a long term solution.
Disagree on Hurts. But if you follow your line of thinking, then this team needs so much more than it could possibly do in 1 or 2 drafts, so you may as well blow the whole thing up. If they have to spend extraordinary draft capital on a QB, there goes the hope of bolstering the defense. .... Personally, I want to see what this team looks like with another year of Hurts, another WR and a rebuilt defense.
Agreed. Not to mention none of these QB's in this draft are knock out studs. Maybe the dude from Pitt, but thats it.
I would still plan on starting Hurts next year, but I would still use one of the first round picks on one this year. If he happens to beat out Hurts, then so be it. If Hurts doesn't improve next year and they need a QB the Eagles might not have an opportunity to get a decent one in 2023. Some projections are suggesting a QB goes 1st and 2nd with a possibility of a 3rd. Talk on the internet suggesting the Eagles trade for Wilson using their 3 1st round picks. Which btw, I think is crazy.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I wouldn't mind drafting Carson Strong as a project in the 4th round if he is there should Hurts crap the bed next year.

Mariota would be a solid backup. Even Cam Newton but I think that ship has sailed.
headclown

Post by headclown »

we have a backup QB. A very good one, so not sure what you are talking about
headclown

Post by headclown »

philly_curse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 pm Calvin Ridley anyone? Would a second roundner get it done?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... falcons-wr
That's smart, bring another RICH pro player that was not mentally fit to play for his team this year....no thanks
philly_curse

Post by philly_curse »

We have plenty of those to trade back. Call it even.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Howie made it pretty clear today that Hurts is the QB for 2022.

Alright kid, it’s your show.
headclown

Post by headclown »

OK I'm going to end all this bullshit RIGHT now.

The Eagles are currently around $15M under the cap and it should not be too hard for them to get around $40-55M under the cap...anything over that will be pretty difficult IMO, or if you needed to go higher, would seriously hinder future years of cap managment

Currently, the combination of Jalen Hurts and Garnder Minshew have a cap hit of around $2.6M

Any of the QBs that could be brought in that would be an upgrade cost anywhere between $35M and $45M.. Where in the HOLY FUCK would the Eagles get the $$$$ to pay for said QBs...it is not possible. Like literrally, it is NOT possible and still field a 53 man roster next year. Lets not even discuss what draft capital you would have to give up this year and next.

Jalen Hurts at 23, he is younger then Kenny Pickett...who by the way has what will be some of the smallest hands in NFL history and is a 1 year wonder.

There is not 1 QB I would take in the first round

Send Jalen to Jordan Palmer's school of Quarterbacking. Spend your money wisely in free agency and draft the best players available in the draft that fit your needs. Edge rusher, CB, WR, S and LB. It really is not that difficult...the Eagles IMO had a great year considering , and if done correctly have an outstanding outlook for the future.

I truly can not believe all the hate for a team that literally just won our first SB 4 years ago. Have they made some draft/FA mistakes...sure, but what team hasnt't...For every Jalen Reagor comment, I give you Jordan Mialata, for every JJAW comment, I give you Jack Driscoll for every 2018 draft sucked, I give you the 2021 draft. This team is relevant, and everytime they have a bad year, they IMMEDIATELY bounce back. This franchise under Jeffrey Lurie has always done that...love or hate him, give his team, our team credit for that.
headclown

Post by headclown »

The WR/TE group in 2021 was extremely underwhelming.

Devonte Smith is a 1B receiver IMO and would be greatly improved by getting a true #1 receiver and an improved Jalen Hurts
Goedert is a beast, but he had 4 official drops this year and you could argue that it is really double that to include a bad playoff drop
Watkins is really a good 3, his route discipline SUCKS and cost Jalen several incompletions and atleast 1 INT
Reagor is beyond horrible, but so was Agholor until year 3....so like a guy drowning, I will hold my breathe until I can't. So in my world he is the 5th receiver next year and perhaps Nicky can use him at times for something
JJAW Gone
Ward Gone

Here is the thing, you get Mike Williams and this all of sudden is an outstanding set of 4 weapons that will truly help Jalen Hurts. If Mike Williams wont come here, you have to get the BEST WR available in the draft, dont get cute, take the best. And then go into FA and get a savy vet that can help the WR room....like an Emmanuel Sanders.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Saw this on facebook and I really like what this guy had to say for the Eagles off-season

Ideal Off-Season Scenario
QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Miles Sanders
WR: DeVonta Smith
WR: Treylon Burks or Drake London
WR: Quez Watkins
TE: Dallas Goedert
TE: Nick Boyle
LT: Jordan Mailata
LG: Landon Dickerson
C: Jason Kelce
RG: Jack Driscoll
RT: Lane Johnson
RE: Josh Sweat
RDT: Javon Hargrave
LDT: Fletcher Cox
LE: Brandon Graham/Jermaine Johnson
WLB: Nakobe Dean
MLB: TJ Edwards
SLB: Anthony Barr
CB1: Darius Slay
CB2: Andrew Booth or Sauce Gardner
SCB: Avonte Maddox
SS: Jalen Pitre/ Marcus Epps
FS: Marcus Williams
Draft
Round 1: Nakobe Dean
Round 1: Andrew Booth or Sauce Gardner
Round 1: Treylon Burks or Drake London
Round 2: Jermaine Johnson
Round 3: Jalen Pitre
To me this would be the perfect start to the draft. Nakobe Dean is a transcendent player and would immediately upgrade our defense. Andrew Booth and Sauce Gardner are both day 1 starters who can envolve into number 1 Corners. Treylon Burks and Drake London give the Eagles a big bodied physical WR that Eagles lack, capable of making contested catches and getting out in blocking by for the screen plays. Eagles may have to use a couple of their late round picks to trade up to the top of the 2nd round for Jermaine Johnson which is where he’s been mocked. Johnson would immediately enter the rotation and ideally replace BG in the future. Jalen Pitre imo is the steal of the draft, I have a first round grade on him and he’s been mocked in the 3rd and 4th round. Eagles wanted to play more single high safety as the season went on but that lacked a true SS to do so, Pitre gives you that guy as clearly the best run support/blitzing safety in the draft. I’m just obsessed with his relentlessness, his inability to be blocked and his insane closing speed which that allowed him to get 19 tackles for loss last season for Baylor. In Cover 1 the Eagles can put in Pitre and in Cover 2 Marcus Epps who imo was our best safety this season. The rest of the picks should be targeted at depth.
Key Free Agents
Jason Kelce
Marcus Williams
Anthony Barr
Nick Boyle
If Kelce wants to return which I’m sure he does after being voted the best Center in football it should be obvious to resign him. Marcus Williams is the best deep safety in the league who covers more field than any safety I’ve seen since Earl Thomas. Again Marcus Williams increases versatility as he can play in cover 2 and he has the range to play cover 1 high. He’s only 25 years old and has his best football ahead of him. The only reason the Saints won’t resign him is because they are over the cap by 66 mil. Not many times can you get a building block through free agency. Anthony Barr is another one of Gannon’s guys I’m sure he’d be interested in to replace Genard Avery. A starting LB trio of Dean, Barr and Edwards with depth of Singleton, Davion Taylor and Patrick Johnson gives the Eagles one the strongest Lb units that they’ve had in years. Boyle isn’t yet a FA but will be as the Ravens will save a lot of money by releasing him. Boyle is one of the most underrated TEs in the league and a perfect scheme fit for the Eagles. He’s very similar to Brent Celek as he has very reliable hands but he’s on the field to block, he’s practically an additional OT, perfect compliment TE to Dallas Goedert and huge upgrade over Jack Stoll.
~Matt
Vegas Eagle Fan

Post by Vegas Eagle Fan »

headclown wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:35 pm OK I'm going to end all this bullshit RIGHT now.

The Eagles are currently around $15M under the cap and it should not be too hard for them to get around $40-55M under the cap...anything over that will be pretty difficult IMO, or if you needed to go higher, would seriously hinder future years of cap managment

Currently, the combination of Jalen Hurts and Garnder Minshew have a cap hit of around $2.6M

Any of the QBs that could be brought in that would be an upgrade cost anywhere between $35M and $45M.. Where in the HOLY FUCK would the Eagles get the $$$$ to pay for said QBs...it is not possible. Like literrally, it is NOT possible and still field a 53 man roster next year. Lets not even discuss what draft capital you would have to give up this year and next.

Jalen Hurts at 23, he is younger then Kenny Pickett...who by the way has what will be some of the smallest hands in NFL history and is a 1 year wonder.

There is not 1 QB I would take in the first round

Send Jalen to Jordan Palmer's school of Quarterbacking. Spend your money wisely in free agency and draft the best players available in the draft that fit your needs. Edge rusher, CB, WR, S and LB. It really is not that difficult...the Eagles IMO had a great year considering , and if done correctly have an outstanding outlook for the future.

I truly can not believe all the hate for a team that literally just won our first SB 4 years ago. Have they made some draft/FA mistakes...sure, but what team hasnt't...For every Jalen Reagor comment, I give you Jordan Mialata, for every JJAW comment, I give you Jack Driscoll for every 2018 draft sucked, I give you the 2021 draft. This team is relevant, and everytime they have a bad year, they IMMEDIATELY bounce back. This franchise under Jeffrey Lurie has always done that...love or hate him, give his team, our team credit for that.
I agree with you on not trying to bring in one of those expensive QBs. I'm not sure Minshew wants to be second string and I believe he has one year left. So if a QB needed team is willing to deal for him, I think the Eagles will trade him.