2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by Christopher »

I'll start the week with something slightly -- only slightly -- promising: Some of these moves feel like cheapskate moves to get all the other holes "taken care of" before they spend their big offseason wad on Kris Bryant, doing the bare minimum possible to keep Harper happy while also staying under the threshold. (They may also be hoping that Bryant's opportunities to land elsewhere dry up.)

Personally, I'm a big thumbs-down to "Bryant and nothing else major," but it does kind of fall within this ownership's/front office's M.O.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

If the cap is a hard cap for the Phillies, they still have roughly $35M to spend. So, yeah, I'm mildly optimistic about Bryant and someone like Tyler Anderson makes a ton of sense. This starting rotation has train wreck written all over it, with the uncertainties to start the season
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
Phillies are in talks with Brad Hand, one of the few good lefty relievers left

There are probably better lefties to gamble on. Especially given the Phillies' propensity toward NOT being savvy on salaries for interchangeable relievers.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Maybe the Phils have already conceded to the Mets, but there are six playoff spots this year. If they don't want to compete, sell the team. Sorry for the rants, but this Odubel Herrera news has really killed my excitement for this coming season. Maybe a big signing will snap me out of it.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Hand is a done deal for $6m.

Lefty to the pen.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

People don't understand the CF market and that there are no other real options.

None in house.
Crap as FAs.
Teams are tryna truck the Phillies for good, not great CFers. They want Stott. That's a no for me, dog.

They're gonna spend in LF and perhaps one other position.

I'm moving Bohm to 1B, Hoskins is my DH, maybe sign a LF and 3B.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

That would appear to put them about 29-30M left to spend before the tax line that Middleton refuses to cost.

If they wanted Bryant + anything else significant they'd have to try to backload Bryant's contract a little bit.

Since Schwarber would likely be a shorter deal, I don't see how he's cost much less than Bryant in 2022, so they might actually be better off with Bryant on a 5-6 year deal, spreading out the money.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:50 pm If the cap is a hard cap for the Phillies, they still have roughly $35M to spend. So, yeah, I'm mildly optimistic about Bryant and someone like Tyler Anderson makes a ton of sense. This starting rotation has train wreck written all over it, with the uncertainties to start the season
I am still assuming that they sign one of Nicky C, Schwarber or Bryant with my guess being Schwarber

They won 82 games with Bryce having an MVP season and Wheeler & Suarez having career years

Nola bouncing back and Hoskins staying healthy will help, but other players will take a step back and they are going to have some big pitching issues in April at a minimum

Just don't see any realistic scenario where they are any better than a 500 team or are even close to the Mets or Braves

Going to be a long season
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:49 pm Hand is a done deal for $6m.

Lefty to the pen.
yay - another washed up reliever
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Christopher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:52 pm That would appear to put them about 29-30M left to spend before the tax line that Middleton refuses to cost.
Honestly, I don't believe Middleton refuses to cross the luxury tax line. The man put out for Harper, Realmuto and Wheeler. He had Hoskins and Nola. They have that and they can't make the playoffs. There was no deal at the TD that would transform that team by going over the line. So they don't make the playoffs AND he gets a huge tax bill? That's not smart, that's not good business. And while it isn't my money, I don't see how we blame him for not going over. The people frustrated with him not going over can never give realistic scenarios for players who make them a playoff team.

When it's time, Middleton will spend to win. But he has to be smart about it.