2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by mrmountie »

22 or 23 million for the three guys they signed vs 25 for all of Graveman, Neris and Loup.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

If the front office was the majority vote of Philaphans, plus a budget spreadsheet guy and someone to write the contracts, the team would be so much better off.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

I'm not a fan of signing relievers. To me, they're simply failed starters who are to volatile year to year.

That said, I'd much rather see the Phils do what they did this year ($24M) in total one-year deals as opposed to multiple years on the players Mountie listed above for $54M. Unless I'm getting a proven closer or set-up man in the prime of his career, I'm not giving multiple years.

Just don't go after who was hot as a reliever last season. Since they're so volatile, I'd go after those coming off bad years and roll the dice on them bouncing back.

But I do see what the Phils are doing. Recency bias shows this team blew nearly 40 games late. They're trying to fix it with short term players hoping they all get hot during the same season.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Olson to the Braves.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

mrmountie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:11 pm Olson to the Braves.
That's rough. Not much of a downgrade (if at all) while getting 5 years younger at the position.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

And it basically hands Freeman to the Dodgers. Don't see who else would sign him and give him $$ he deserves.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Basically you have Hand and Familia replacing Bradley and Neris and I just don't see that as much of an upgrade. Seems like a slight downgrade.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

Yeah - it's basically a lateral move and if all of them would sign for a 1-year deal, I'd probably prefer Neris & Bradley simply for familiarity. I'd have no problem with both pitching in the 7th & 8th. I think Neris was miscast as a closer.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

There are no circumstances that can justify trading Stott. This organization must draft and develop their own.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:07 pm There are no circumstances that can justify trading Stott. This organization must draft and develop their own.
Angel offer Trout straight up for Stott and GM Bel says no and gets fired immediately ;)