2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by mrmountie »

Christopher wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:00 pm Girardi says that MRI showed Herrera has a mild strain. Will probably miss Opening Day. Could miss 4-6 weeks total.
Need it to be 4-6 years.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:00 pm Girardi says that MRI showed Herrera has a mild strain. Will probably miss Opening Day. Could miss 4-6 weeks total.
The Phillies have played a lot of guys in CF so far and none of them have been that impressive, but not one of them is that bad that they had to bring Odumbell back. All the Phils really need there is a good fielder.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Andrew Miller retires. For five years, 2013 to 2017, he was probably the most feared/effective reliever in MLB. And during those five years he played for the Red Sox, Yankees, Indians.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

Michael Jack wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 pm
The Phillies have played a lot of guys in CF so far and none of them have been that impressive, but not one of them is that bad that they had to bring Odumbell back. All the Phils really need there is a good fielder.
It just doesn't work that way. The Braves had the best defensive CF prospect in the past 10 years in Christian Pache. Yet that didn't stop them from trading him away after seeing how he was with a bat for just one season. Back quite a few years ago, shortstop was the position nobody cared about offensively. Cal changed that a bit and then the influx of Jeter, ARod & Tejada turned it on its head. EVERY position now is expected to perform offensively. It's how the game has changed. Like it or not, and I've said this for 20 years, Ozzie Smith likely wouldn't be an everyday player in the majors today with his skill set. He's lucky to have played when he did. SS's are expected to hit .270+, 20+ HR power & swipe 10+ bases as the baseline of their skills. I'd say the same falls true for CFs.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

Christopher wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:43 pm Andrew Miller retires. For five years, 2013 to 2017, he was probably the most feared/effective reliever in MLB. And during those five years he played for the Red Sox, Yankees, Indians.
Yeah he was pretty solid.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Castellanos: "It is survival. It is how I feed my family. I do not have a college degree. I hit baseballs."
Love this. Going to be a serious side to this season. Loafers beware.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Ben Grimm wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:44 pm
Michael Jack wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 pm
It just doesn't work that way. The Braves had the best defensive CF prospect in the past 10 years in Christian Pache. Yet that didn't stop them from trading him away after seeing how he was with a bat for just one season. Back quite a few years ago, shortstop was the position nobody cared about offensively. Cal changed that a bit and then the influx of Jeter, ARod & Tejada turned it on its head. EVERY position now is expected to perform offensively. It's how the game has changed. Like it or not, and I've said this for 20 years, Ozzie Smith likely wouldn't be an everyday player in the majors today with his skill set. He's lucky to have played when he did. SS's are expected to hit .270+, 20+ HR power & swipe 10+ bases as the baseline of their skills. I'd say the same falls true for CFs.
Ozzie was a slight late bloomer with the bat, but from his age 29 through age 38 seasons, he had a .358 OBP, .707 OPS and averaged 36 steals a year. Add that glove, and he's playing everyday.

I think your point holds for many folks a tier below Ozzie Smith, but the Wizard was more than just a Gold Glover.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Also, very very few people have ever looked as cool in an MLB uniform: https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*lXlh ... NR_cg.jpeg
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

Christopher wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:16 pm
Ben Grimm wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:44 pm
Michael Jack wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 pm The Phillies have played a lot of guys in CF so far and none of them have been that impressive, but not one of them is that bad that they had to bring Odumbell back. All the Phils really need there is a good fielder.
Ozzie was a slight late bloomer with the bat, but from his age 29 through age 38 seasons, he had a .358 OBP, .707 OPS and averaged 36 steals a year. Add that glove, and he's playing everyday.

I think your point holds for many folks a tier below Ozzie Smith, but the Wizard was more than just a Gold Glover.
Pretty sure You completely missed his point. Ozzie Smith would never have had the chance to be a late bloomer in today's game. Smiths first 6 years as a starting shortstop He had pathetic numbers, He hit .235 with a .307 On Base Percentage to go along with a .293 Slugging % and .599 OPS.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Vierling should just play everyday.