2022 Predictions Thread

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 2022 Predictions Thread

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:43 pm It's just predictions, not positivity or negativity. Of course we're rooting for them.

It's a better team, yes, and they absolutely should make the playoffs, but the NL is full of good teams.

The key factor in this team being "good" or "very good" IMO is Nola. If he pitches like a #2, then I think the rotation is a strength. The good news is that, because they used FA to fill their holes, they're in a position to trade for a starting pitcher this summer if/when the need the arises. That will be the final piece.
My concerns go beyond Nola

Wheeler's health after all the innings he threw last year is a big concern
Suarez was amazing last year, but he is going to take a step back - question is how much?
Eflin - if healthy is ok, but Gibson may just be a marginal starter

and when they need to replace one of these guys, whether it is short or long term, the pickings are slim
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

In my mind, no reason to be pessimistic about Wheeler. Obviously, if it goes sideways, that changes everything. But can't reasonably predict that.

I see Suarez as a 3, Gibson as a 4 and Eflin as a 5. Maybe some interchangeability there, and it's doubtful they get much more than 150 IP from Suarez, which is why a trade will be crucial.

So that's why I still think it comes down Nola. He must be the 2. Everything else falls into place from there if he is. If he's not, all the lack of depth comes to the surface.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Just about every team in the game this year will lose at least one important starter or two this season. The Mets are already down Scherzer and Degrom; The RSox are down Sale; on and on it will go. Depth will be the issue for all of the clubs. For the Phillies, who is the next guy up when it happens here?
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

headclown wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:27 am I call bullshit to some of you guys. This team is a million times better then last years team that won 82 games and you are saying 80 or 83??? Why are you fans of this team??? Go to SF and love on Gabe. This is a Phillies board and all your bitching about how cheap the Phils are....where you at now??? So STFU.
Seek help.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Skyjack wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:22 pm Just about every team in the game this year will lose at least one important starter or two this season. The Mets are already down Scherzer and Degrom; The RSox are down Sale; on and on it will go. Depth will be the issue for all of the clubs. For the Phillies, who is the next guy up when it happens here?
Bailey Falter, Nick Nelson and Cristopher Sanchez are all currently in the bullpen. In a perfect world, they'd get two of those guys down to Lehigh Valley soon to get stretched out as starting pitchers, joining Hans Crouse.

That's your group to pull from at the moment.
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

AL Division winners:

Blue Jays
White Sox
Astros

AL wild cards:

Rays
Yankees
Rangers

NL Division winners: