Eagles' 2021 GDT #12: 11/28/21 Eagles(5-6) @ Giants(3-6) - 1pm

Moderator: FolesMVP09

FolesMVP09

Re: Eagles' 2021 GDT #12: 11/28/21 Eagles(5-6) @ Giants(3-6) - 1pm

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 pm Bel - you are comparing Hurts to QBs who were perceived (rightly or wrongly) as franchise QBs and taken in the first round
Hurts was not seen as that level, again rightly or wrongly

As you point out - he does not have the weapons or coaching, so I think what his potential upside will remain an unknown and that is a big problem. I have zero confidence that Sirrianni is the right coach for him and no confidence that Howie can draft the WRs needed. I worry that he will be traded in a deal for a vet QB and thus if he does become a star, it will be elsewhere.
Here's the thing, though. I don't understand the need for the distinction. It should not matter where a QB is drafted when inserted as the starter.

Why is that applied to Hurts, only? Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th. Not every starter is a 1st rd pick.

Hurts was a 2nd rd pick. Why does that matter, especially when he's outperforming QBs drafted higher than him, as 1st rd picks? He does not have the weapons and his coaches are greener than he is, yet none of that is taken into account when evaluating him. They talk about the shitty receivers, they talk about the bad play calling, but somehow, Hurts is supposed to overcome all that while also negotiating the waters of being a 1st time starter, without getting ANY of the understanding that success doesn't come instantly. I mean, every single throw is hyper analyzed. The bad throws are proof he doesn't deserve the job, his successes are discounted by the competition, when the throw was made, the score, when the sun rose, whether it's a full or half moon... It's absurd the hoops he's expected to jump through. Even on this board, any incomplete is harshly judged, even as the opposing QB does the same or worse.01
Every QB is scrutinized this way in the major east coast markets. Z Wilson, Jones, Darnold have all gone through recently, it as did Wentz, McNabb, Foles, etc

We agree that there is an overreaction in the fan base and in this forum to a lot of things, but especially Hurts. I don't post a lot in the GDTs of late because it gets tiresome at times

Our disagreement is in whether there is an upside to the level of a potential top tier QB which is less likely with a 2nd round pick. Some QBs do pick things up quicker, but also get to that ceiling quicker. I am not saying he can't get there and it is still too soon to determine anything. I am just pessimistic that if he can get to that level, it will ever happen here
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:49 pm Every QB is scrutinized this way in the major east coast markets. Z Wilson, Jones, Darnold have all gone through recently, it as did Wentz, McNabb, Foles, etc

We agree that there is an overreaction in the fan base and in this forum to a lot of things, but especially Hurts. I don't post a lot in the GDTs of late because it gets tiresome at times

Our disagreement is in whether there is an upside to the level of a potential top tier QB which is less likely with a 2nd round pick. Some QBs do pick things up quicker, but also get to that ceiling quicker. I am not saying he can't get there and it is still too soon to determine anything. I am just pessimistic that if he can get to that level, it will ever happen here
There are legit reasons for Wilson, Jones and Darnold to be scrutinized that harshly, especially Darnold and Jones who have had 4 years of continuous starting. Wilson has been terrible every game. Hurts has done things no other starting QB has done, he's been grouped among the best QBs, he had a stretch of 5 games where he led NFL QBs in QBR. All of his stats have been positive to off the charts. He has NEVER had a game like Sunday.

What if he had Jones' receiving weapons? What if he had the Jets' weapons? My issue with the pessimism and the over the top negative talk is that it's as if he's played like Darnold or Jones or Wilson. It's that any of his positive stats are literally bypassed and ignored. It's that people flat out lie about his arm strength and accuracy or that he only gets to his 1st progression when he was ranked among the league's best in getting to his 3rd progression. What bothers me is people repeat lies and distortions about him even when evidence exists that disproves those lies and distortions.
headclown

Post by headclown »

WOW....game is over, so whatever, but I just watched the all 22 and boy oh boy did the refs miss a HUGE play. So Jalen's first INT should have been pass interference all day long and twice on Sunday. The tape shows the defender having both arms around Quez's waist and he is actually pulled so hard Quez takes a step backwards. That move by the defender did 2 things...number 1 it obviously completely stopped Quez's momentum and #2, that gave the defender forward momentum which helped him get to the spot. Horrific non call by the ref that cost us points for sure.

You combine that with Greg Ward dropping the TD pass prior to the bad INT by Hurts, you see that Hurt's bad game is a mirage...2 of those INT should not have ever ocurred. Then you throw in 2 beautiful passes that were dropped by Reagor, and all of a sudden his worst game of his career is something that was out of his control for the most part.

What a shame...if that penalty is called properly, the Eagles win the game. Plain and simple...now sure it was early and they should have blow out the Giants, but plays like that can affect a young QB all game long.