2022 Philadelphia Phillies general thread

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2022 Philadelphia Phillies general thread

Post by Christopher »

Counterpoint, I'd rather trade O'Hoppe than our young pitching in the minors.

Imagine, for example, if O'Hoppe became the kind of chip that could get you Brian Reynolds or Cedric Mullins

I'm not saying that a Hoskins trade doesn't make sense for 2023, but I look at the Schwarber/Castellanos/Hoskins logjam more than the Hoskins/Realmuto logjam.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Giardi just said that he is not ready to dedicate a roster spot to Moniak...if they keep Herrera on the roster and keep Moniak down in the minors, I am going to lose my mind. Moniak should get 2 or 3 games at AA and if his timing looks good, then you have to bring him up
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

To be clear, though, Girardi ain't the GM. If they want to release Herrera, he has nothing to do with it. If they want to add Moniak to the roster, he has nothing to do with it.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:04 pm Counterpoint, I'd rather trade O'Hoppe than our young pitching in the minors.

Imagine, for example, if O'Hoppe became the kind of chip that could get you Brian Reynolds or Cedric Mullins

I'm not saying that a Hoskins trade doesn't make sense for 2023, but I look at the Schwarber/Castellanos/Hoskins logjam more than the Hoskins/Realmuto logjam.
Maybe, but Orioles just brought up their #1 pick....he is a catcher. Now the Pirates have a glaring hole at Catcher both on their MLB team and on their prospect list.

But I think it would take O'Hoppe and Painter/Abel....and Im not doing that for Reynolds.

I want the Phillies to give Moniak every opportunity until the trade deadline.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

headclown wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:27 pm Giardi just said that he is not ready to dedicate a roster spot to Moniak...if they keep Herrera on the roster and keep Moniak down in the minors, I am going to lose my mind. Moniak should get 2 or 3 games at AA and if his timing looks good, then you have to bring him up
Did he say that today? because yesterday he said

"Yeah," Girardi said. "I think we'll take a look at him and if we feel he's ready ..."

As we saw with Stott, spring training #s are meaningless. I highly doubt that Moniak is a starter, but they have nothing to lose giving him a shot
headclown

Post by headclown »

Today.

And yes he could struggle too, but I would rather struggle with him than Odumbell
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:48 pm I highly doubt that Moniak is a starter, but they have nothing to lose giving him a shot
You're probably right, but we know for damn sure that Odubel Herrera, Roman Quinn, Matt Vierling and Simon Muzziotti* aren't the answer, either. They need to give Moniak a look

*-at least not at this moment

ADDENDUM: While O'Hoppe is looking good in the minors, our "vaunted" young center fielders of the future are not so far this year.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

headclown wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:00 pm Phillies are going to have a real interesting decision perhaps next year on Logan O'Hoppe. Dude is raking to the tune 1.003 OPS. We have JT for the rest of this year and 3 more years after that. Logan will be ready by Summer next year at the earliest and 2024 at the latest IMO.

Is it time to think about JT at 1st base and trading Rhys? I dont think anyone would take JT, given that contract and his decline at the plate. Im not just talking about this year, I thought JT under performed last year as well .783 OPS is not what 23M should get you and this years .614 certainly does not.
Jesus christ.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 am
FolesMVP09 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:48 pm I highly doubt that Moniak is a starter, but they have nothing to lose giving him a shot
You're probably right, but we know for damn sure that Odubel Herrera, Roman Quinn, Matt Vierling and Simon Muzziotti* aren't the answer, either. They need to give Moniak a look

*-at least not at this moment

ADDENDUM: While O'Hoppe is looking good in the minors, our "vaunted" young center fielders of the future are not so far this year.
Oh I agree - same with Bohm & Strott - I don't think any of them are going to be above average starters, but zero to lose giving them a full chance
headclown

Post by headclown »

mrmountie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:26 am
headclown wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:00 pm Phillies are going to have a real interesting decision perhaps next year on Logan O'Hoppe. Dude is raking to the tune 1.003 OPS. We have JT for the rest of this year and 3 more years after that. Logan will be ready by Summer next year at the earliest and 2024 at the latest IMO.

Is it time to think about JT at 1st base and trading Rhys? I dont think anyone would take JT, given that contract and his decline at the plate. Im not just talking about this year, I thought JT under performed last year as well .783 OPS is not what 23M should get you and this years .614 certainly does not.
Jesus christ.
Why are you on this board....you seriously offer nothing except to ridicule others. So give an argument or STFU. It really is that easy