headclown

Re: 2022 Philadelphia Phillies general thread

Post by headclown »

John Stolnis
@JohnStolnis
·
3h
Phils closer Corey Knebel:

Among 27 MLB pitchers with at least 4 saves this year, Knebel’s K/9 of 7.94 is 3rd lowest.

Only 6 pitchers have a higher BB/9 than his 4.24.

His 20.8% K-rate is 141st out of 213 qualified relievers.

Like I have said, have not been impressed.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I don't think the Phils have an answer at CF, either at the big league level or in the minors. I'm not going to get too excited about Moniak just because he hit for some power in spring training, but I agree with the idea of giving him a chance. The funny thing is, when he was drafted, scouts raved about his hit tool and projected him to be an above average CF --- maybe even a future Gold Glover. The only question was whether or not he would hit for power. If he became that player, he would have solved both the CF and leadoff hitter the Phils have had for years. The thing is, six years later, the only thing he does is hit for occasional power. On the other hand, when the Phils drafted Bohm, it was for power. The system was devoid of power and even though most scouts thought he would also hit for average, it was the 30-40 HR power the Phils were after. So far, the average is OK, but not much power. It still might come, but I wonder how much the aluminum bat question is in play here. To be fair, the Phillies weren't the only teams that felt this way about these two players. So, what happened? Poor scouting? Poor development from the Phillies or is there any chance these players can still become what the scouts thought when they were drafted?
headclown

Post by headclown »

Baseball is the hardest sport to project...especially when they are HS kids. I have said ALL ALONG give Moniak a chance to mature physically...he was a kid, literally when drafted. Now Bohm, I am very surprised he has not developed power. That HR the other day to LF gives me some hope though
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Need Big Bryan Reynolds
headclown

Post by headclown »

Phillies avoid arbitration with Eflin $5.7M and additional year mutual option $15M...Damn that is a huge raise...if healthy, I do like Eflin
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I suspect the plan may be Nola OR Eflin in 2023.
If they can't go long term with Nola, they may move him this winter, and then they have Eflin locked in.
If they extend Nola, then there's less pressure to keep Eflin at that $15M figure.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Decline and invest that 15 + whatever into Rodon. In.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Moniak 2-5 last night in Reading....bring him up!!!
headclown

Post by headclown »

Segura is out 10-12 weeks....so even if you wanted to trade him, he will still be out
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Maton back up. Not even close to a suitable replacement. The season might be over. I think Bryce has had it and may be considering Tommy John surgery, which is probably the eventual outcome anyway.