Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Phils resign Torreyes to a minor league deal
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Looks like Phillies' plan to start the season is that Schwarber will be in LF and Castellanos will be DH, though there is flexibility. Schwarber has more LF experience than Castellanos.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:01 pm Phils resign Torreyes to a minor league deal

Gotta have this in the org.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Today's lineup:

CF Vierling
2B Segura
DH Harper
C Realmuto
1B Hoskins
SS Gregorious
LF Haseley
3B Munoz
RF Moniak

SP Crouse

So, I haven't assessed the very back end of the bench. Is there a spot there for another OF, or is that unlikely. Would there only be a spot if Stott doesn't go north?
headclown

Post by headclown »

You need some depth for sure, but how many PH appearance will the Phillies need now versus years past? I like Camargo and Vierling....please no on Torreyes, I think the Phils would want Kingery to make the team...if he doesn't I would just cut him completely. If Stott does not beat out Didi, I want him at AAA getting more minor league at bats. Maton can be the utility guy. Sadly, you have to think Hasely is the guy that makes the 5 OF spot
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

headclown wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:16 pm You need some depth for sure, but how many PH appearance will the Phillies need now versus years past? I like Camargo and Vierling....please no on Torreyes, I think the Phils would want Kingery to make the team...if he doesn't I would just cut him completely. If Stott does not beat out Didi, I want him at AAA getting more minor league at bats. Maton can be the utility guy. Sadly, you have to think Hasely is the guy that makes the 5 OF spot
26 man roster

I am assuming 13 pitchers to start the year. If 12, that changes this

Only 4 bench spots. With a DH, you don't need to worry about pinch hitters obviously

Back up catcher
Vierling
Camargo

So that just leaves one spot

I am assuming Stott starts in AAA at least to start

Luke Williams would be my guess
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Herrera may start the season on IL. Likely CF scenario would be Vierling as the everyday starter, with some spot starts for Haseley. ...

Have to think the next thing for Moniak is the "my bust for your bust" swap.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Winkelman
@Matt_Winkelman
It is weird to feel like Rhys Hoskins has been lost in the Schwarber/Castellanos signings, but he has been a better or equal hitter to them over his entire time in the majors (both had a better 2021, but Hoskins has been much more steady)

To me, Hoskins is the REASON the Schwarber & Castellanos signings are so exciting. You want/expect Hoskins to be a productive slugger in 2022. You want that Schwarber-Harper-Realmuto-Hoskins-Castellanos gauntlet -- which will get 56% of the plate appearances each game -- to be unnavigable.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jonny Heller
@JonnyHeller

Seranthony Dominguez struck out the side in his first outing of the Spring. 14 pitches, 12 strikes - and four swings and misses. His return to form would mean more to this Phillies bullpen than any addition made this offseason.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Joel Sherman
@Joelsherman1
Source: rosters almost certain to expand from 26 to 28 for most of April. No restriction on how many pitchers can be active in that period. Not finalized yet. But this is the plan right now.