2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Post by Christopher »

I really don't know what folks see in Thomas.
He's a replacement-level corner outfielder who's about to start costing money in arbitration.
He doesn't draw walks.
The price probably starts with Rojas, who I'd frankly rather give a try as the LF or CF in 2024, rather than be stuck with Thomas, who shouldn't really start often vs. righties -- at least not on a playoff team.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Agree with you on Thomas

Marlins get our friend Robertson from the Mets. Their 2nd bullpen acquisition this week
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Time will tell whether those prospects are better than Ben Brown.

Mets lose a tiny bit of leverage by essentially announcing they're in Sell Mode now.
Pham/Canha aren't huge difference-makers, but the market and price for them might be smaller 30 minutes before the deadline.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Christopher wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:19 pm Sounds like the Mets are going to sell.

I think it's important to note that one reason -- besides Cohen -- that they paid so much for Scherzer, Verlander, Quintana, Carrasco, Senga is because they have not developed any young major league pitching.

Cohen's money can't change the fact that they may be headed for a rebuild.
Trading Verlander, who seems to have more left in the tank than Scherzer, is not going to help the 2024 Mets
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The Pirates' Connor Joe, a LF/1B who hits lefties at an .800 OPS, is probably just as good as the other platoon possibilities being thrown around (Duvall, Pham, etc.)
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Thomas is hitting .290 with 16 homers and 12 steals. Not a star, but how many Phillies are currently giving the team that kind of production? He's 27 and controllable through 2025.As long as the price isn't too hefty, he'd be a nice addition.

Of course if Soto is truly available, I'd go for him. It will certainly take some top prospects, but Soto is only 24 and already a superstar. I think he'd be comfortable in Philly with the Washington connection and he's signed through 2024. I think the Phils would have a good chance to sign him long-term and that would fit into the time frame when JT, Schwarber and Casty are no longer with the team. If it looks like he won't sign the Phils could probably get a nice return at next year's deadline.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure I want Pham, Cahna, Duvall, Grichuk, etc., unless they are super cheap. I'd rather see what Rojas and Pache can do than trade a good prospect for any of those guys.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I guess the question comes down to what you view as "hefty"

Thomas probably costs something like Rojas, Kerkering and a lottery ticket -- if the Nationals are being reasonable. Or McGarry if they're greedy.

I guess there'd be no sense holding onto Rojas if you're getting Thomas, but I kind of want to see what he can do.

There are so many platoon RH outfield bats that one of them will come quite cheaply, if that's the concern.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Would Abel .Rojas and Crawford get you Robert Jr?
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:59 pm The Pirates' Connor Joe, a LF/1B who hits lefties at an .800 OPS, is probably just as good as the other platoon possibilities being thrown around (Duvall, Pham, etc.)
He sounds like a character from the Andy Griffith show....

White Sox continue to sell, Dodgers get Lynn & Kelly

Astros get Graveman - that is someone that would have been good for the Phils to try to get
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

bigel57 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:09 pm Would Abel .Rojas and Crawford get you Robert Jr?
Well, I would do that in a heartbeat