2024 NBA Trade Transactions

Moderator: sentinelhyder

Captain Obvious

Re: 2024 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by Captain Obvious »

Yeah I didn't like when they signed him, but he grew on me. That sucks.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Morey traded Springer to the fucking Celtics, he traded Beverley to the Bucks.

What the fuck? Is Colangelo back?
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Did Morey just tank the season?

He got Shield but they seem like they've significantly reduced depth.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Yeah i'm not sure about that one. I thought at least Springer would develop into a key bench guy down the road.

I guess hes thinking....

I don't know what the hell he's thinking.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

From Crossing Broad:

[On the flip side, you’re basically cleaning up your cap sheet entirely by moving Springer. The only guys you have for next year are Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey (cap hold), and Paul Reed contingent on the Sixers getting to the second round of the playoffs. If they keep playing like this, and Embiid doesn’t return, they might be able to get off the Reed contract as well, which is $7 million.

So you’re talking about a ton of room to work with next season. You’re getting off the Tobias Harris contract, Buddy Hield, Nic Batum, Robert Covington, basically hitting the reset button completely.]

This lends itself to what I was saying above. Morey just dumped the rest of the contracts beyond 2024 or made sure what he brought in didn't have a contract beyond 2024.

I'm now more of the opinion that Embiid isn't coming back, we're liable to see more play from Council, Smith and Lofton. No guarantee that anyone waived really helps, including Lowry.

I'm still tryna figure out who's playing PF and SF other than Harris and Oubre.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

im kinda with you that this all points to Embiid not coming back this year. but then why Hield?

i may be back on the Fire Morey train. Jumped off after the Harden trade.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Could be he sees Hield as someone he's gonna consider bringing back next season and gets his rights. He can exceed the cap to sign both Maxey and him.
adamcru

Post by adamcru »

BelmontShore wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:28 am Could be he sees Hield as someone he's gonna consider bringing back next season and gets his rights. He can exceed the cap to sign both Maxey and him.
This is the only logical thing to conclude after the other moves yesterday. Tyrese becomes the true point guard and Hield is the 2 guard going forward. Maybe they bring back some of the other guys like Oubre next year as well.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Who's even out there as a difference-maker free agent? Amusingly enough, Maxey is listed as the #1 free agent by some.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

There are always players that shake free, especially on draft day. Teams that decide they need to rebuild or go in another direction choose not to extend players.

There is a salary cap issue coming up for several contenders where they may not be able to pay a 3rd star. You'll also have teams want to trade for 1st Rd picks. Since the 76ers will be so far under the cap, they won't have to match contracts.

For example, not that I'd necessarily target him 1st, but Paul George could have an issue with an extension with the Clippers.