2021 General Eagles Discussion

Moderator: FolesMVP09

phtown

Re: 2021 General Eagles Discussion

Post by phtown »

BTW, I love the idea of trading for Ridley or another WR this off season rather than drafting one. If Ridley could be had for that 2nd round pick, then we are freed up to take the best defensive players available in the 1st round and Howie doesn't get the chance to embarrass himself again evaluating college receivers.
headclown

Post by headclown »

phtown wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:45 pm BTW, I love the idea of trading for Ridley or another WR this off season rather than drafting one. If Ridley could be had for that 2nd round pick, then we are freed up to take the best defensive players available in the 1st round and Howie doesn't get the chance to embarrass himself again evaluating college receivers.
First you have to find out how he is doing and if he has the passion to even play anymore. Given that and he will need a contract, I would give up a 3 and maybe a 5th...nothing more. I would rather the Eagles get one of these studs in the draft to be honest. I really want the Eagles to go best player on the board, but obviously have your needs right there too. Going into the off-season, the Eagles need:

Edge rusher
#1/2 receiver...all depends on how you view Devonte Smith
LB
CB
Safety
C

Eagles have a ton of picks to really fill this list out and perhaps there are some free agents/trade targets that could fill these needs.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Tyree Jackson tore his ACL....what a shame. Caused due to a shanked punt....Kind of reminds me McCutchen tearing his ACL due to Segura not hustling.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I'll take Randy Gregory on the D line, and the Honey Badger (Tyron Mattheau) in FA.

I want Will Fuller as a low risk high reward guy coming off injury. I agree if Ridley still wants to play make a deal.

Don't think the Ealges need to make a big splash in FA just enough to suppliment the draft picks.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

The Poster wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:44 pm Watched Michigan/Georgia yesterday. A Hutchinson was a disappointment. J Sayler (projected as a probable 2nd day or early 3rd day pick) handled him easily. N Dean was impactful.
Hutch had issues that day. But if you garner single game outliers against everyday production, you'll be fighting a losing battle. Some team will select David Ojabo in the first round this year (likely pick 10-20). He was purely a product of Hutchinson being double- and sometimes triple-teamed this season. There is no doubt about it - Hutch and Thibo are #1 & #2 this year - just not sure who goes first. By week 7, the Birds were lined up to get one of them.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

It's not sexy, but the Birds don't often draft sexy. They still go with the AR rule of keeping the trenches deep.

I agree with this. Your running game is only as good as your O-Line and your secondary is really a projection of your DL.

While the Birds had three top-10 picks a few months ago, things have changes. Now the picks are between 11 & 20.

The three guys I see making a huge difference now and in the future for this team are:

First Pick: Karlaftis - Big edge rusher
Second Pick: Linderbaum - Monster in the middle - replacement for Kelce
Third Pick: Sauce - Great point of contact cover corner

Nothing sexy about that. But all three fit the Eagles' narrative of the past 20 years. All three can start Day 1. Add in some hole-fillers in FA and good to go!
phtown

Post by phtown »

Those 2 will have to slip to get to picks 15 and 16. They would be a great haul though.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

by and large the philosophy to build the lines out is a sound one. isnt sexy but its absolutely vital. many, including me, blasted the dickerson pick and look at it now.

so if they go line line ill probably complain and be wrong about it.
phtown

Post by phtown »

If what you read about him is true and Linderbaum falls to 15 you almost have to take him or trade back. He's s that good. But if Kelce returns, the Eagles already have starters and backups across the OL.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Good discussion so far!

-Sauce is going to be the 2nd CB off the board I think. So if he is there at 15, the Eagles absolutely have to take him there.
-Linderbaum is someone that could easily go in the top 10.
-Like a lot of drafts, this one will be dictated on how quickly or slowly the QBs come off the board. Most of these 5 QBs that are the top of the list are probably late 1st or 2nd round picks. But hell I've seen some drafts have the Lions taking a QB at 2...a lot of the top teams drafting need QBs, but who knows if they will take them that high.
- Ojabo is someone that is raw and certainly benefited from Hutch...the problem for the Eagles is that it is a HUGE need IMO...but can you maybe get better value grabbing that Edge guy with your 2nd and/or 3rd pick.
-Not going to lie, some of these WRs really interest me...but are the Eagles better served to go after a guy like Mike Williams...or take a guy like Burks out of Arkansas who has similar measurables...or what if Jameson Williams falls? He is 6'2" with 4.3 speed????
- I personally think since Edwards and Singleton took over, the LBs have been much improved, but I still want Devin Lloyd or Dean 100%
- Last thought, I would like to see Battle or Brisker in the 2nd round if either are there.

- This is shaping up to be one of the most intriguing off-season in Eagles history. Need Howie to have another outstanding draft, and wisely navigate the roster to maximize cap space and retain the right players.