2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by Christopher »

Philadelphia Phillies
@Phillies
The Phillies have acquired right-handed pitcher James Norwood from the San Diego Padres in exchange for infielder Kervin Pichardo and cash considerations, President of Baseball Operations David Dombrowski announced today.

I know not of these people
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Gelb
@MattGelb

Norwood goes on the 40. He’s in play for Opening Day because of bullpen injuries. He is out of options. Good bet he makes the team.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:46 pm Matt Gelb
@MattGelb

Norwood goes on the 40. He’s in play for Opening Day because of bullpen injuries. He is out of options. Good bet he makes the team.
Walks a ton - he'll fit right in
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
The San Diego #Padres have engaged in trade talks this spring with the Pittsburgh #Pirates in an attempt to acquire All-Star outfielder Bryan Reynolds. The Padres have pitching depth, and young pitchers Chris Paddack and Ryan Weathers have been mentioned in discussions.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
Reliever Craig Kimbrel has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for outfielder A.J. Pollock. The Kimbrel-for-Pollock deal is straight up. No money exchanged. Kimbrel will make $16 million this season and should slide into the closer's role with the Dodgers. Pollock is making $10 million and has a $10 million player option that includes a $5 million buyout.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jacob DeGrom will miss at least 6 weeks, it appears, with a shoulder injury.
That's a bummer for him and it's bad for baseball.

I will say that this is even more reason the Phillies must take advantage of their April schedule and put themselves in a position for success in the standings against the Braves and the still-very-tough Mets.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:19 pm Jacob DeGrom will miss at least 6 weeks, it appears, with a shoulder injury.
That's a bummer for him and it's bad for baseball.

I will say that this is even more reason the Phillies must take advantage of their April schedule and put themselves in a position for success in the standings against the Braves and the still-very-tough Mets.
Really is a shame as he was in the upper tier of greatness

Phils don't have the pitching to play much better than 500 for an extended stretch, especially not in April
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Article listing the Phillies opening day line-ups since 2000

https://www.philliesnation.com/2022/04/ ... ince-2000/

2012-2018 are really just a blur. I could have been given a million guesses and never had guessed that Hellickson started back to back openers. Forgot he even existed
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
Deal that’s on table has Eric Hosmer, Chris Paddack, Emilio Pagan and $25M going to Mets for Dom Smith. Mets are mulling.

On the surface, this deal confuses me, especially from the Padres' end. I may be undervaluing Smith.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Right now some really tough breaks for the Mets on pitching, but it's not going to be unique to them by any means.
I think with pitchers, especially, this season is going to be a war of attrition. Regular injuries, plus everyone's just out of synch given the past two years.