2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:03 pm Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
Deal that’s on table has Eric Hosmer, Chris Paddack, Emilio Pagan and $25M going to Mets for Dom Smith. Mets are mulling.

On the surface, this deal confuses me, especially from the Padres' end. I may be undervaluing Smith.
60m left on Hosmer's contract - so that $35m is the incentive
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I had to check 3 times that this wasn't an April Fool's joke....

Andy Martino
@martinonyc

There are some in the Mets organization who feel Travis Jankowski is a better roster fit than Smith. Others who remain very high on Smith. This deal risks selling very low on him.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

Christopher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:48 pm Right now some really tough breaks for the Mets on pitching, but it's not going to be unique to them by any means.
I think with pitchers, especially, this season is going to be a war of attrition. Regular injuries, plus everyone's just out of synch given the past two years.
Totally agree with this. Many starters only were able to go 60-80 innings in 2020 - if they pitched at all. Then most of them came back and doubled or tripled that total. Now, they're coming into a season without being fully stretched out. We're already seeing issues across the league. Teams better be able to go 10-starters deep (between ML & minors) to fill more gaps than usual IMO.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

Christopher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:27 pm I had to check 3 times that this wasn't an April Fool's joke....

Andy Martino
@martinonyc

There are some in the Mets organization who feel Travis Jankowski is a better roster fit than Smith. Others who remain very high on Smith. This deal risks selling very low on him.
Jankowski & Canha can platoon in LF. Jank's a much better fielder. Can go with Cano/Canha at DH. Dom Smith can only DH. He's an absolute butcher in the field. Mets could use that extra help Jank offers even if used simply as a late-inning guy to help protect leads.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Padres get Manaea
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Really would like to know what equivalent would have been for the Phillies to make that deal. I thought he was a great fit for us.

We're an injury from Cristopher Sanchez, Bailey Falter or Hans Crouse being in the rotation.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:28 pm Really would like to know what equivalent would have been for the Phillies to make that deal. I thought he was a great fit for us.

We're an injury from Cristopher Sanchez, Bailey Falter or Hans Crouse being in the rotation.
I think that they were around 10-12 on their prospect list so would have to be two top 10 from the Phils end

Lack of depth for the rotation is going to be a big issue
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Hopefully today is the last we see of Ronald Torreyes
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:27 pm I had to check 3 times that this wasn't an April Fool's joke....

Andy Martino
@martinonyc

I would much rather have Jankowski than Herrera. At least Janko plays above average defense and runs well.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:58 pm Hopefully today is the last we see of Ronald Torreyes
Prefer him to Maton, but I don't think either one makes the Opening Day.