2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by Christopher »

Some folks, including Winkelman, urging Phillies to get weird with a solution to CF, including the idea of Trevor Story.

Well, if you want to get weird without getting totally weird, Kris Bryant is the obvious answer. He's a superutility superstar. Move him around to LF, CF, 3B, 1B, DH. If you have enough offense, you can survive with Vierling in CF on the days that Bryant is elsewhere. If Vierling sucks, you can look for a complementary CF midseason and/or play Bryant in CF more often.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

UPDATE: Two minutes into free agency, the Phillies haven't done Michael Jack Shit.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Gelb
@MattGelb
One of the more interesting things that could shape the transactions over the next 48 hours is whether a player suffered a significant injury during offseason workouts in the last 99 days. Neither team nor player had to disclose during lockout. Offseason injuries aren't unusual.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Phils added Knebel lost Neris

Even if assuming that Knebel works out - that's a wash and the rest of the bullpen still sucks

With Suarez's visa issues and the shortened spring training, going to need a lot of relief innings the first few weeks

Could be an ugly start
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:31 am Phils added Knebel lost Neris

Even if assuming that Knebel works out - that's a wash and the rest of the bullpen still sucks

With Suarez's visa issues and the shortened spring training, going to need a lot of relief innings the first few weeks

Could be an ugly start
Phillies might start slow, but I'm excited that you're hitting the ground in midseason form!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Pretty quiet so far. Some mild buzz about Marlins-Pirates talking about CF Reynolds.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Heyman is just a mouthpiece for Boras. But I'm not opposed, in this case.

=================

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
NL MVP Bryce Harper is stumping for good friend/Vegas neighbor Kris Bryant in Philly. Harper pull helped keep Realmuto. Phils have needs but also options (Schwarber, Conforto, Castellanos, etc.) KB does fit, either for 3B and/or OF. He, too, has options: Sea, Colo, SD, NYM, more
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:09 pm Heyman is just a mouthpiece for Boras. But I'm not opposed, in this case.

=================

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
NL MVP Bryce Harper is stumping for good friend/Vegas neighbor Kris Bryant in Philly. Harper pull helped keep Realmuto. Phils have needs but also options (Schwarber, Conforto, Castellanos, etc.) KB does fit, either for 3B and/or OF. He, too, has options: Sea, Colo, SD, NYM, more
If you get Bryant, is he your CF or LF? I would say LF is the better option. I really wanted Schwarber, but he really only fits as LF or DH. With the new deal in place, the Phillies have approximately $51M...lots of directions they can go.
I am really excited to see how Kevin Long helps our existing players...he seems to have taken Alec Bohm on as his personal project.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:29 pm Pretty quiet so far. Some mild buzz about Marlins-Pirates talking about CF Reynolds.
This is the kind of trade I would love to see the Phillies make, but their cupboard is too bare to make something like that to happen.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

headclown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:17 pm
Christopher wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:09 pm Heyman is just a mouthpiece for Boras. But I'm not opposed, in this case.

=================

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
If you get Bryant, is he your CF or LF? I would say LF is the better option. I really wanted Schwarber, but he really only fits as LF or DH. With the new deal in place, the Phillies have approximately $51M...lots of directions they can go.
I am really excited to see how Kevin Long helps our existing players...he seems to have taken Alec Bohm on as his personal project.
I think you embrace the flexibility, which is especially important to do now that there's a DH.
You don't have to have set spots for every single player.

I also think that if Bryant is added, it makes it much less critical to find an everyday CF before Opening Day. Not because Bryant has to play there all the time, but because I think you can start the season with Vierling in CF some days, and then, if needed, find an upgrade later on in the season.

The perfect acquisition combo would be Bryant/Schwarber. ... But if they want to do other spending/upgrades, I'd probably be OK with Kris Bryant and Brad Miller