2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Moderator: Christopher

headclown

Re: 2022 MLB Spring Training & resumption of free agency

Post by headclown »

Serious question...any concerns that Kris Bryant's 3 best years were his first 3 years? He is going to be paid a shit ton of money, but is that more off his name versus his actual production? His RBI totals are average at best. Bryant on offense reminds me a lot of JT Realmuto type of numbers....good numbers for sure, but most felt that JT was a disappointment last year...decent numbers, but not $23M type of numbers.

Now that being said, I am in on Bryant. I think he and Bryce could feed off each other. Where do you hit Bryant if he were acquired?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think part of it is that above-average offense is what will help the Phillies compete in a very competitive division. We can't match the pitching depth or bullpen of other teams, but who wants to face a lineup that includes:

Segura
Harper
Realmuto
Bryant
Hoskins
a healthy Gregorious

I think there's also this to consider: I *think* that Bohm will be fine. But if he's not, you suddenly have an in-house solution to a huge hole. Just play Bryant at 3B more often.
jrollin24

Post by jrollin24 »

Team needs as many bats as it can get. With the pitching staff still looking pretty bleak beyond the top few, they need to score.

RBI's are also a terrible indicator for someone who has been batted all around the lineup, including leadoff.

Bryant is the exact type of versatile option this team needs and gives them flexibility to creatively fill other holes.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

headclown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:56 pm Serious question...any concerns that Kris Bryant's 3 best years were his first 3 years? He is going to be paid a shit ton of money, but is that more off his name versus his actual production? His RBI totals are average at best. Bryant on offense reminds me a lot of JT Realmuto type of numbers....good numbers for sure, but most felt that JT was a disappointment last year...decent numbers, but not $23M type of numbers.

Now that being said, I am in on Bryant. I think he and Bryce could feed off each other. Where do you hit Bryant if he were acquired?
Worst part about baseball being back is that drivel like this is also back as a result.
headclown

Post by headclown »

mrmountie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:45 pm
headclown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:56 pm Serious question...any concerns that Kris Bryant's 3 best years were his first 3 years? He is going to be paid a shit ton of money, but is that more off his name versus his actual production? His RBI totals are average at best. Bryant on offense reminds me a lot of JT Realmuto type of numbers....good numbers for sure, but most felt that JT was a disappointment last year...decent numbers, but not $23M type of numbers.

Worst part about baseball being back is that drivel like this is also back as a result.
No, worst part is your bullshit. Add an argument instead of your drivel.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Carlos Rodon to Giants. $44M, 2 Years.

All the pitching went off the board before the lockout.
Need bats.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

That's a great deal for the Giants. Love teams with fantastic FO/Manager combos.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:48 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:31 am Phils added Knebel lost Neris

Even if assuming that Knebel works out - that's a wash and the rest of the bullpen still sucks

With Suarez's visa issues and the shortened spring training, going to need a lot of relief innings the first few weeks

Could be an ugly start
Phillies might start slow, but I'm excited that you're hitting the ground in midseason form!
Sixers game last night was good practice....
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The "good" news is that with the accelerated timeline, we'll probably be put out of misery on our Bryant hopes pretty quickly.

Braced for Bryant to Seattle.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 pm The "good" news is that with the accelerated timeline, we'll probably be put out of misery on our Bryant hopes pretty quickly.

Braced for Bryant to Seattle.
Assuming that the Phils are willing to spend up to the luxury tax - they have 50ish mil to spend

Bryant, Schwarber and a bullpen arm