FolesMVP09

Re: Eagles' 2021 GDT #12: 11/28/21 Eagles(5-6) @ Giants(3-6) - 1pm

Post by FolesMVP09 »

It is really hard to be optimistic about this team's future
Zero confidence that Howie will do a good job drafting
headclown

Post by headclown »

Howie has had a few very bad picks, but he has also had some very good picks along with some outstanding value picks. He's not being fired, so we have to hope for the best, but this year and 2018 appear to be outstanding drafts
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

headclown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 pm Howie has had a few very bad picks, but he has also had some very good picks along with some outstanding value picks. He's not being fired, so we have to hope for the best, but this year and 2018 appear to be outstanding drafts
Talent on this team is subpar because the drafting has been bad. Every team has some good picks
I don't think Devonta is going to be a star, at least not with this coach. A good player yes, but not top 10 pick quality, so I am skeptical that 2021 will be outstanding. A pick that they had to make because of the Reagor/JJAW mistakes

Howie does a good job with certain positions - OL (though Dillard was a big miss), RB, TE. However has no clue on defense, WR.
headclown

Post by headclown »

This game was bad and Jalen is being beat up really bad. However, the one play that really stands out to me that really snowballed everything was the drop by Greg Ward. Dude does not get many opportunities anymore, so when your number is called, you have to step up. That catch happens, the Eagles win this game going away, I fully believe. He catches that and it is now 7-3 and the Eagles go into the break with momentum.
Even his first interception could be debated as to wether it was a penalty or Watkins did not finish his route....Fox did a horrible job with no replay, but either way Jalen threw it to a spot and Watkins was not there.
headclown

Post by headclown »

I feel just like I did with the Phillies this year...hanging around but a great "on paper" schedule going down the stretch. The Phillies should have won another handful of games and the Eagles should have closed this year out at 4-2 at worst case...now they have to go 4-1 to salvage things...but that looks really far in the distance now.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Another thing of note, that Siriani must fix ASAP....not getting the ball into Gainwells hands until the end of the game is just ignorant...I would play him over Reagor in the slot, plain and simple.
Also, not throwing anything to Goedert in the middle of the field is simply mystifying
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I've calmed down since yesterday. I am over it...

Another game where they shot themselves in the foot. Penalties, bad play calls, bad decisions by the QB, etc. This is week 4 crap.

It's nice to be hopeful and think they were going to be 7-6 into the bye, but then reality of this team sets in.

Still say 7-10 and sticking to it.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

I'm really at a loss to understand why there are so many Hurts haters out there in the media, talk radio and the fanbase who will willingly ignore facts and details regarding Hurts' play. They'll trash his receivers who aren't named Smith or Goedert, they'll talk about how bad Sirianni's play calling is, they'll talk about the penalties that take away scores he earns, but then they expect Hurts to perform when he's really only got one serviceable WR in Smith, and now, only one serviceable TE in Goedert. Who are his weapons to help him run a competent passing attack? Does any QB in the NFL have fewer pass catching options? Watkins is a decent WR, but he's not someone who's gonna work to get 7-8 catches. He's a HR threat.

Somehow, Hurts has to be superhuman and find a way to throw the ball effectively with no weapons, but it's never addressed as hurting his efforts. He's just supposed to throw for 300yds with 1 WR and 1 TE, with an occasional toss to Gainwell.

Meanwhile, that vacuum that Philadelphia fans view their teams' players in prevents those people trashing Hurts from seeing any other QBs in the league who struggle, also. QBs who got all kinds of praise have struggled. Mayfield, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, Fields and Lance have had the same growing pains, with missed throws & INTs. Even established QBs had multiple INT games, like Brady last week.

For some reason,(I know the reason) Hurts is supposed to be perfect. He's got to show constant and steady improvement with no signs of the growing pains that have befallen every QB who ever played the game. Some of those haters need to look at Aikman's 1st year or Favre's, Elway's, Young's and on and on. Eagles' fans laughed at Troy Aikman and Dallas his 1st year.

This angers me. Greatly.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Bel - you are comparing Hurts to QBs who were perceived (rightly or wrongly) as franchise QBs and taken in the first round
Hurts was not seen as that level, again rightly or wrongly

As you point out - he does not have the weapons or coaching, so I think what his potential upside will remain an unknown and that is a big problem. I have zero confidence that Sirrianni is the right coach for him and no confidence that Howie can draft the WRs needed. I worry that he will be traded in a deal for a vet QB and thus if he does become a star, it will be elsewhere.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 pm Bel - you are comparing Hurts to QBs who were perceived (rightly or wrongly) as franchise QBs and taken in the first round
Hurts was not seen as that level, again rightly or wrongly

As you point out - he does not have the weapons or coaching, so I think what his potential upside will remain an unknown and that is a big problem. I have zero confidence that Sirrianni is the right coach for him and no confidence that Howie can draft the WRs needed. I worry that he will be traded in a deal for a vet QB and thus if he does become a star, it will be elsewhere.
Here's the thing, though. I don't understand the need for the distinction. It should not matter where a QB is drafted when inserted as the starter.

Why is that applied to Hurts, only? Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th. Not every starter is a 1st rd pick.

Hurts was a 2nd rd pick. Why does that matter, especially when he's outperforming QBs drafted higher than him, as 1st rd picks? He does not have the weapons and his coaches are greener than he is, yet none of that is taken into account when evaluating him. They talk about the shitty receivers, they talk about the bad play calling, but somehow, Hurts is supposed to overcome all that while also negotiating the waters of being a 1st time starter, without getting ANY of the understanding that success doesn't come instantly. I mean, every single throw is hyper analyzed. The bad throws are proof he doesn't deserve the job, his successes are discounted by the competition, when the throw was made, the score, when the sun rose, whether it's a full or half moon... It's absurd the hoops he's expected to jump through. Even on this board, any incomplete is harshly judged, even as the opposing QB does the same or worse.01