2022 Philadelphia Phillies general thread

Moderator: Christopher

headclown

Re: 2022 Philadelphia Phillies general thread

Post by headclown »

Baseball has a problem and it is stating to take center stage...offense is down drastically so far this year. They altered the ball and have implemented the humidor in all parks. Another thing that is not taken into consideration...the NL has the DH and offense is still down. For a team like the Phillies that hoped to build their team around offensive guys has seemed to fail so far. The DH has not helped them at all...from a performance perspective. Obviously, the DH has helped with Harper's injuries but they are a worse offense despite the pitcher not hitting.

Here is my problem, what is MLBs end goal here? A more boring game? Look at all the shut out around MLB...yawn.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Question for Doc, but have not seen him around.

Is it normal that starting pitchers in the low minors seem to pitch so few of innings per start? Seems like this is what killed Spencer Howard. Even a college pitcher like Griff McGarry is getting under 3 innings per start. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, but perhaps Im missing something
phtown

Post by phtown »

headclown wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:45 pm Baseball has a problem and it is stating to take center stage...offense is down drastically so far this year. They altered the ball and have implemented the humidor in all parks. Another thing that is not taken into consideration...the NL has the DH and offense is still down. For a team like the Phillies that hoped to build their team around offensive guys has seemed to fail so far. The DH has not helped them at all...from a performance perspective. Obviously, the DH has helped with Harper's injuries but they are a worse offense despite the pitcher not hitting.

Here is my problem, what is MLBs end goal here? A more boring game? Look at all the shut out around MLB...yawn.

I see it as more complicated than that. We are built to hit HRs like many other offenses have evolved to do. Pull the ball out of the park and swing and miss alot. That makes for long boring baseball IMO. If you deaden the ball than that hurts us and others dependant on the long ball. And the long ball approach is probably in response to juicing up the ball in the first place. If you deaden the ball then teams need to alter their approach which can't be done overnight. The Mets scored at will against us the other night without hitting the ball hard by using the opposite field where we had no defenders. I am not opposed to deadening the ball since you can't enlarge the parks if you can get consistent results from the method used. Offenses need to adjust and be better at putting the ball in play. I understand that is not easily done given how hard these pitchers are throwing.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

headclown wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 pm Question for Doc, but have not seen him around.

Is it normal that starting pitchers in the low minors seem to pitch so few of innings per start? Seems like this is what killed Spencer Howard. Even a college pitcher like Griff McGarry is getting under 3 innings per start. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, but perhaps Im missing something
Yeah they should probably be having young pitchers be throwing 10000 pitches a start in the cold
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Didi on the IL
Stott up
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

He was hitting well in the minors. They need to play him every day; give him a chance to get some momentum & confidence.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

More concerned about Hoskins' play than anything else right now. When he gets hot, he's fun and one can tolerate his bad play in the field. When he gets in one of these funks like he's in right now, he's one ugly baseball player. Time for the club to move on from him.
headclown

Post by headclown »

With Vierling going down, what is this teams plans for CF....please dont tell me Odubel is the plan. His defense is terrible, his approach at the plate is terrible, he had a couple of good games, but I am done with him. They should just release him once Moniak is ready. Not sure if he is the answer either, but his time in this organization needs to be over.

CF is an issue for a lot of organizations...there are really no trade options that are appealing either, unless we want to give up one of our 3 big pitchers in the minors...maybe one of them for Reynolds, but even he is off to a bad start this year.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

headclown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm With Vierling going down, what is this teams plans for CF....please dont tell me Odubel is the plan. His defense is terrible, his approach at the plate is terrible, he had a couple of good games, but I am done with him. They should just release him once Moniak is ready. Not sure if he is the answer either, but his time in this organization needs to be over.

CF is an issue for a lot of organizations...there are really no trade options that are appealing either, unless we want to give up one of our 3 big pitchers in the minors...maybe one of them for Reynolds, but even he is off to a bad start this year.
Dykstra is coming back - needs the $$$ to pay off debts.

Leadoff & CF resolved
headclown

Post by headclown »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 pm
headclown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm With Vierling going down, what is this teams plans for CF....please dont tell me Odubel is the plan. His defense is terrible, his approach at the plate is terrible, he had a couple of good games, but I am done with him. They should just release him once Moniak is ready. Not sure if he is the answer either, but his time in this organization needs to be over.

Dykstra is coming back - needs the $$$ to pay off debts.

Leadoff & CF resolved
LOL, I would take 1993 Dykstra for sure, but not sure he would pass his PED test