The Joe Girardi Goodbye Thread

Moderator: Christopher

Michael Jack

Re: The Joe Girardi Goodbye Thread

Post by Michael Jack »

BelmontShore wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:20 pm Our long local nightmare is over.

Girardi will be dismissed, today.

Rob Thomson is the interim.
Thomson was Joe's bench coach in New York and again here. Do you expect anything to change? Maybe the Phils get a little better with an easier schedule in June, but it looks like it's going to be another wasted season. I just hope they get it right next time. Teams usually overreact and hire someone very different when they replace the manager. Terry Francona was too soft so they hired Larry Bowa. Bowa was too harsh so they hired Charlie Manuel. They got it right then, because Cholly was a players' manager, but also someone who could be harsh when it was needed. When they brought in Matt Klentak, he wanted a modern, analytical manager, so they went with Gabe Kapler. When that didn't work I think ownership stepped in and wanted someone with experience. They interview Joe Girardi, Buck Showalter and Dusty Baker. Dusty wasn't my first choice because he had a history of overusing pitchers, but I could have been OK with that. When it came down to Joe and Buck, I thought either one would be fine. Both had been around. Both had dealt with the New York press and I agreed they needed someone with experience after Gabe. But it didn't work out. I think the front office deserves a lot of the blame here, for both Gabe and Joe, but when a team underachieves, eventually it's the manager that gets the pink slip. Going forward, I hope they have already started to build a list of candidates and hopefully get it right next time.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:35 pm Paying someone to take, say, Kyle Schwarber off our hands won't solve anything at this point.

I think you look at the guys who are closest to free agency and make a real careful assessment weighing re-signing cost vs. what prospects can be obtained.

The Segura injury really hurts, because I think he has value on the trade market, but now...
Totally agree.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Breen
@matt_breen
Joe Girardi managed fewer games for the Phillies than Ryne Sandberg and had a worse winning percentage than Gabe Kapler.
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

Getting rid of Girardi is a small step in the right direction, but this organization has a long way to go before it becomes competitive again.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Given some of the quotes today I still feel the biggest problem with the team is Middleton.
headclown

Post by headclown »

mrmountie wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:41 pm Given some of the quotes today I still feel the biggest problem with the team is Middleton.
Then you are a special kind of stupid...Go talk to 20 other cities that would die to have an owner that will spend like Middleton will. You just bitch to bitch...you are a loser and that is what losers do.
headclown

Post by headclown »

wrench248 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:40 pm Getting rid of Girardi is a small step in the right direction, but this organization has a long way to go before it becomes competitive again.
Wrong...sometime the simple moves are the right ones. Amazing how many of you have quit on your team after 50 games..shameful
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

What Sam Fuld said today ties into problems that were apparent with Joe from his first year there, the front office said last year that getting everyone on the same page and improving communication were musts and he implied today that Girardi was really bad at that. It's pretty clear that Joe was at odds with the front office on a lot of things and the fact that they didn't fire him after last year while they were looking to improve on those areas really only points to the owner not wanting to cut bait. Really shouldn't get to the point where pretty much the entire team and front office are celebrating the guy is gone.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Ooof watching that Bryce interview after Joe’s firing.

“It’s on the players, but also on him”

If the players even liked Joe, you wouldn’t have heard that. They hated him. I think the game Bryce hit the dong in Atlanta and he didn’t use Knebel because of his 3 day rule probably post whatever good will he had left.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

mrmountie wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:41 pm Given some of the quotes today I still feel the biggest problem with the team is Middleton.
Yeah not sure I agree. Maybe he is involved somewhat, but it feels to me like he has given a lot of rope to Dombrowski to do whatever he wants.

Also I have a tiny bit of faith still in Dombrowski. Not falling victim to Narr and firing Joe after a win, makes me think he is still thinking big picture and making sound decisions.

All the quotes from Bryce and Dombrowski, it’s clear they didn’t think Girardi was any good at connecting with his players