Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: The Joe Girardi Watch

Post by mrmountie »

Fire Joe.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Last night I watched the Pirates vs. the Dodgers. Derek Shelton, the Pirates manager, brought in his closer, Bednar to pitch in the eighth inning with a one-run lead for in all possibility, a two-inning save. Well, things didn't go well, as Bednar gave up two runs and the Dodgers took the lead. Moreover, he threw 27 pitches. Lo and behold, the Pirates rallied for two in the top of the ninth off Kimbrel to re-take the lead. Bednar came back out for the bottom of the ninth and it wasn't easy, but he held off the Dodgers for the win. He threw 50 pitches overall. That would never happen with the Phillies and if it did, the press would be all over the manager for doing it. As for Bednar, when he was asked about it after the game, he said of course he wanted to go out there and would always take the ball. Give me that guy.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I think Dave Dombrowski and the invisible Sam Fuld need to be held accountable for this mess, as well.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Today's loss will tell us more.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:56 pm Today's loss will tell us more.
If they lose today and the day off tomorrow, I would think they move on. Hell even if they do win, he might be gone anyway. I am really starting to lean on the players more and more though. Giardi is a problem, but these guys are veterans for the most part and their performance is quite disgusting IMO.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

headclown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Christopher wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:56 pm Today's loss will tell us more.
If they lose today and the day off tomorrow, I would think they move on. Hell even if they do win, he might be gone anyway. I am really starting to lean on the players more and more though. Giardi is a problem, but these guys are veterans for the most part and their performance is quite disgusting IMO.
Lol
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Re: The Joe Girardi Goodbye Thread

Post by BelmontShore »

Our long local nightmare is over.

Girardi will be dismissed, today.

Rob Thomson is the interim.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

My initial thought is that I don't know how Girardi's literal right-hand man is going to inspire/motivate this dugout. I hope they talked with him in conjunction with this to see if he has any ideas beyond "same old, same old"
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

When you can't fire the team, fire the manager. Sure Girardi is not blameless but these players need to look into the mirror and examine themselves. Some are getting way too much money for their production. I hope that DD sends a few of them packing.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Paying someone to take, say, Kyle Schwarber off our hands won't solve anything at this point.

I think you look at the guys who are closest to free agency and make a real careful assessment weighing re-signing cost vs. what prospects can be obtained.

The Segura injury really hurts, because I think he has value on the trade market, but now...