The Philadelphia Flyers' 2022 Offseason Thread

Moderator: OrangeCrush

mrmountie

Re: The Philadelphia Flyers' 2022 Offseason Thread

Post by mrmountie »

Tortorella would be the most Flyers hire ever.
Buff

Post by Buff »

mrmountie wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:18 am Tortorella would be the most Flyers hire ever.
I tend to agree with you. He's stubborn to a fault, in many ways similar to Doc Rivers.
philly_curse

Post by philly_curse »

Unrelated. Morganti and Clement get the nod for the hockey writers' hall of fame.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/al-morganti ... ia-awards/
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

philly_curse wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:22 pm Unrelated. Morganti and Clement get the nod for the hockey writers' hall of fame.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/al-morganti ... ia-awards/
This is spectacular.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

[The Vegas Golden Knights are set to hire former Boston Bruins bench boss Bruce Cassidy as their next head coach, according to ESPN's Kevin Weekes.]

This is good news for the folks who want Barry Trotz. Vegas was a real possibility for Trotz.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Good franchises and forward thinkers look at what teams like the Avs and Lightning have done and try to build their teams like that and find people who fit the mold of what wins in modern hockey. Bad franchises try to emulate the Minnesota Wild and Columbus Blue Jackets.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

[The Philadelphia Flyers are in the final stages of negotiating a contract with John Tortorella for their head coaching vacancy, ESPN's Kevin Weekes reports.

The deal is not done, but the team has offered the 63-year-old the job, Weekes adds.]

I prefer Trotz but maybe Tortorella gives them a glimpse into how the Lightning run their org. That said, I don't anticipate Clarke and Holmgren letting go of their death grip on this organization.
Buff

Post by Buff »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:15 am [The Philadelphia Flyers are in the final stages of negotiating a contract with John Tortorella for their head coaching vacancy, ESPN's Kevin Weekes reports.

The deal is not done, but the team has offered the 63-year-old the job, Weekes adds.]

I prefer Trotz but maybe Tortorella gives them a glimpse into how the Lightning run their org. That said, I don't anticipate Clarke and Holmgren letting go of their death grip on this organization.
He's got a bit of Doc Rivers' brashness about him. As I said, he'll either be loved or hated by the fans here, there will be no in between. I would put money on the latter.
rob630

Post by rob630 »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:15 am [The Philadelphia Flyers are in the final stages of negotiating a contract with John Tortorella for their head coaching vacancy, ESPN's Kevin Weekes reports.

Yep, looks like it's gonna be Tortorella. Flyers made an offer to Barry Trotz on Tuesday, which he turned down.

Interesting article by Anthony SanFilippo. This organization is a mess.
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/06/f ... oach.html
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

A GM who doesn't care about analytics and a coach who loves dump and chase and blocking shots in an analytical speed, skill based league. Love the org being 20 years behind the curve as always.