The absurdity of a lockout

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The absurdity of a lockout

Post by Christopher »

Good piece that firmly assigns the blame where it belongs: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/333 ... ne-arrives
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

If the owners get their way and have a 14 team playoff - I guess the Phils 79-82 wins may be enough
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

14 teams ... ugh.

I still like 4 teams from each league. Three division winners and a wild card (to avoid situations like the 1993 Giants).

I don't like to lean too hard into the nostalgia and olden days, but when every damn series for the final six weeks has nailbiting tension, that's when I think baseball is at his best. Sure, October rocks. But baseball used to own August and September too.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Christopher wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:30 am 14 teams ... ugh.

I still like 4 teams from each league. Three division winners and a wild card (to avoid situations like the 1993 Giants).

I don't like to lean too hard into the nostalgia and olden days, but when every damn series for the final six weeks has nailbiting tension, that's when I think baseball is at his best. Sure, October rocks. But baseball used to own August and September too.
Before the three divisions, you had some solid rivalries. Now with all the division games, a series like Philies/Marlins twice in a week doesn't make for sexy September baseball.
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Hate those owners
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

First two series cancelled. The lockout will cost regular season games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/333 ... l-deadline
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

mrmountie wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:16 pm Hate those owners
Seconded.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Hope they cancel the whole season - let them kill the entire league

eff the owners
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Billionaire owners making huge profits while using publicly owned facilities at bargain rates and then crying over revenues is just rich. The cities should ding them for their rent payments whether they play or not. These owners are costing the cities tons of lost revenue in sales and wage taxes including many of the part time ballpark employees. I guess that this is how one makes money in America these days-screw the public. It’s getting tiresome.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Reaction to owners' desire to ban the shift:

Joe Sheehan
@joe_sheehan
We’re still getting causes and effects wrong. The dominant style of hitting isn’t a reaction to the defense, it’s a reaction to the evolution of pitching. The focus on defensive positioning is just because it’s visible; mandating teams play bad defense would be a mistake. You’re just not fixing all that ails baseball by turning a bunch of pulled batted balls into one-base singles. Focus on the batter/pitcher matchup. Most of what’s broken in gameplay is broken between the mound and the plate.