Phillies Minor Leagues Discussion Thread

Moderator: Christopher

bigel57

Re: Phillies Minor Leagues Discussion Thread

Post by bigel57 »

Gee,that news about O’Hoppe is very disturbing.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

I went to the BlueClaws game as a fan--I wasn't working tonight--to check out Andrew Painter. Basically, he came as advertised. He retired all 9 men he faced, striking out 4. Painter was in the upper 90s with his fastball. I know the BlueClaws' radar gun is 3-4 mph slow, and he hit 95 on it at least once. Some who were watching on TV saw two kinds of breaking balls, a curve and a slider. I suppose it was the curve that I saw in the upper 70s/low 80s for one of his strikeouts. I believe there were two batters that made hard contact on him, both line drives caught by outfielders. The Phils have a good one here, folks.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:28 pm
schooldoc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah, I noticed O'Hoppe missed about 7-10 days, but I'm not sure why. He came back a few days ago and DH'd, but didn't play last night. He was selected to the Futures Game along with Reading LHP Erik Miller, who hasn't pitched in about a month.

A few MLB rehabbers have surfaced the past few days:
Johan Camargo is now with LHV
Nick Maton is with CLW
JoJo Romero is working his way up the ladder, he is now with LHV
Any prospects not being talked about who you see potential in?
Everyone knows the top guys are Painter, Abel, O'Hoppe, and Rojas and there's a pretty significant gap in my opinion to the next tier. Beyond that, I don't think there are many potential everyday guys; you're just hoping someone can come fill a role for a bit kind of like Darick Hall is.

I'll give you a name of an under-the-radar guy who has done well this year and that is Dalton Guthrie. He's at AAA now, playing CF lately. He's from the Univ. of Florida (played with guys like Pete Alonso, Brady Singer & A.J. Puk on their national championship team a few years back). Guthrie is the son of former MLB P Mark Guthrie and he's played about every position for the Phils during his minor league career. Could be a utility guy if they want to keep him around.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

schooldoc wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:33 am
FolesMVP09 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:28 pm
schooldoc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah, I noticed O'Hoppe missed about 7-10 days, but I'm not sure why. He came back a few days ago and DH'd, but didn't play last night. He was selected to the Futures Game along with Reading LHP Erik Miller, who hasn't pitched in about a month.

A few MLB rehabbers have surfaced the past few days:
Johan Camargo is now with LHV
Nick Maton is with CLW
JoJo Romero is working his way up the ladder, he is now with LHV
Any prospects not being talked about who you see potential in?
Everyone knows the top guys are Painter, Abel, O'Hoppe, and Rojas and there's a pretty significant gap in my opinion to the next tier. Beyond that, I don't think there are many potential everyday guys; you're just hoping someone can come fill a role for a bit kind of like Darick Hall is.

I'll give you a name of an under-the-radar guy who has done well this year and that is Dalton Guthrie. He's at AAA now, playing CF lately. He's from the Univ. of Florida (played with guys like Pete Alonso, Brady Singer & A.J. Puk on their national championship team a few years back). Guthrie is the son of former MLB P Mark Guthrie and he's played about every position for the Phils during his minor league career. Could be a utility guy if they want to keep him around.
Thanks!
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Good stuff,Doc. Keep ‘em coming.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

A little MLB Draft talk...

Round 1 is this Sunday, July 17. The Phils have the 17th overall pick.

Here are some free rankings:
MLB Pipeline top 250: https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft

Others from Keith Law (The Athletic) and Kiley McDaniel (ESPN+) are behind paywalls.

JIm Callis (MLB.com) mock:
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft ... t-coverage

Callis mocks RHP Kumar Rocker to the Phillies at 17. This would be a fascinating choice. Rocker (son of former NFL player & current Eagles DL coach Tracy Rocker) is the most "famous" prospect in this year's draft. He pitched from 2019-2021 at Vanderbilt and once threw a 131-pitch no-hitter in the College World Series. Was drafted in 1st round in 2021 by Mets (10th overall), and the two sides reportedly reached agreement on a $6 million bonus. Then the Mets balked at Rocker's medicals and did not sign him. (This is why the Mets have two first-round picks, at 11 and 14, this year.) Word came out a few weeks ago that Rocker had minor (?) shoulder surgery last September. He threw a few games in independent ball earlier this spring/summer and seems healthy now, hitting up to 98 mph on the guns. Would the Phillies take a shot here, if available? Some seem to think so.

Law mocks LHP Carson Whisenhunt to the Phillies. Whisenhunt is a college arm from East Carolina U. He was ruled ineligible this year after testing positive for a banned substance (!) He is now throwing in the Cape Cod League, to mixed reviews.

Personally, I do not expect the Phils to take a HS pitcher for the third year in a row. Given the win-now mode of the organization, I expect Dombrowski & company to go the college route, for someone who has a chance to get to MLB sooner.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

Happy Draft Day

Keith Law again mocks RHP Kumar Rocker to the Phils this weekend. That would be exciting (to me, at least) if that happens.

Elsewhere...

Andrew Painter last night for Jersey Shore: 4 ip 2 h 0 r 0 bb 9 k
Mick Abel Friday night for Jersey Shore: 6 ip 4 h 3 r/er 2 bb 7 k (win)

In the Futures game played yesterday at Dodger Stadium, Logan O'Hoppe went 0-1 and Erik Miller struck out the lone batter he faced.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

schooldoc wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:42 pm Happy Draft Day

Keith Law again mocks RHP Kumar Rocker to the Phils this weekend. That would be exciting (to me, at least) if that happens.
'Went 3rd - so c'est la vie
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

High School OF

Justin Crawford

Son of Carl