8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 am
FolesMVP09 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:39 pm Looking at the Cardinals schedule. They have some tough series, but 24 of their last 34 games are vs Cubs, Reds, Nats, Pirates
It is going to be tough
Well, then look at it as we're chasing the Brewers, with our easy schedule and our hitters returning.
Brewers currently lead us by 2 games.
If we can't be 3 games better than Milwaukee between now and the end of season, multiple things have gone drastically wrong and missing the playoffs is only one of their worries.
Phillies offense is not good enough. I hope you are right - but going to be a struggle
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

Overall, I like what the front office did today. Since 6/1, the players have given the front office a reason to get them some help today, and that's what I think the front office did. It was good to see. Dombrowski was able to add to the three identifiable areas of need that he could address in the trade market....starter, center fielder, and bullpen...and he did it without giving up the organization's top three pitching prospects. They may miss Logan O'Hoppe, Ben Brown, and/or Mickey Moniak down the road. But you normally have to give something to get something, and I don't think Dombrowski gave up anything today that we should be aghast at.

It really looks like 7 teams for 6 playoff positions, and if you break it down the Phils are probably fighting with the loser of the STL/MIL race for the Central to get the last wild card. It should be an exciting final two months and I think with the additions today and the ones coming off the injured list soon, the Phils are well-positioned.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thanks for the analysis Doc. .... I think they also put themselves in a position where they can have a more focused offseason if it looks like Marsh can handle center field. They have payroll coming off and some money to spend this winter; they might be able to focus on some of the high quality free agent shortstops without having to worry about also having to solve CF
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

schooldoc wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:27 am Overall, I like what the front office did today. Since 6/1, the players have given the front office a reason to get them some help today, and that's what I think the front office did. It was good to see. Dombrowski was able to add to the three identifiable areas of need that he could address in the trade market....starter, center fielder, and bullpen...and he did it without giving up the organization's top three pitching prospects. They may miss Logan O'Hoppe, Ben Brown, and/or Mickey Moniak down the road. But you normally have to give something to get something, and I don't think Dombrowski gave up anything today that we should be aghast at.

It really looks like 7 teams for 6 playoff positions, and if you break it down the Phils are probably fighting with the loser of the STL/MIL race for the Central to get the last wild card. It should be an exciting final two months and I think with the additions today and the ones coming off the injured list soon, the Phils are well-positioned.
They didn't do anything horrible, but they needed to find a way to improve the offense. Options may not have been there, but regardless, if the pitching doesn't dominate, they will quickly be in trouble.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am
schooldoc wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:27 am Overall, I like what the front office did today. Since 6/1, the players have given the front office a reason to get them some help today, and that's what I think the front office did. It was good to see. Dombrowski was able to add to the three identifiable areas of need that he could address in the trade market....starter, center fielder, and bullpen...and he did it without giving up the organization's top three pitching prospects. They may miss Logan O'Hoppe, Ben Brown, and/or Mickey Moniak down the road. But you normally have to give something to get something, and I don't think Dombrowski gave up anything today that we should be aghast at.

They didn't do anything horrible, but they needed to find a way to improve the offense. Options may not have been there, but regardless, if the pitching doesn't dominate, they will quickly be in trouble.
Segura, and hopefully Harper back will certainly help. Problem with this team is no one is consistent.

Efflin being out rest of the year sucks. You got Thor which is nice, but the rotation is back to where it was. Lacking depth. They are one more injury away from another bullpen game every 5 days.
phtown

Post by phtown »

Paging Doc for an assessment of Sanchez.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:44 am
FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am

Segura, and hopefully Harper back will certainly help. Problem with this team is no one is consistent.

Efflin being out rest of the year sucks. You got Thor which is nice, but the rotation is back to where it was. Lacking depth. They are one more injury away from another bullpen game every 5 days.
Problem is that you have 30ish more games without Bryce. One bad stretch and they could be done. I just think August may get ugly, unless Castellanos suddenly hits like expected

Bullpen games are just horrible.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

phtown-Sanchez was a 12th round pick in 2019 draft out of Puerto Rico. He's 21 now and was with the Clearwater (low-A) club. He was having a decent--but not great by any means--season down there, slashing .236/.286/.429. He was hurt for about a month (went on IL mid-June), and just got sent out on rehab assignment to the Complex when he was traded.

I don't think there's a lot to worry about with him turning into a star or something, he's just a lottery ticket in that deal.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

Bryce is already hitting off a tee and throwing up to 60 feet. I think he'll be back before Sept. 1. He won't be out another 30 games, maybe 20 or so.
phtown

Post by phtown »

schooldoc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:46 am phtown-Sanchez was a 12th round pick in 2019 draft out of Puerto Rico. He's 21 now and was with the Clearwater (low-A) club. He was having a decent--but not great by any means--season down there, slashing .236/.286/.429. He was hurt for about a month (went on IL mid-June), and just got sent out on rehab assignment to the Complex when he was traded.

I don't think there's a lot to worry about with him turning into a star or something, he's just a lottery ticket in that deal.
you read my mind with that last bit. gracias amigo.