8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Only 2 weeks away. I expect the Phils to trade for a starting pitcher, but they really need a CF
Captain Obvious

Re: 8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Captain Obvious »

Explore all opportunities...
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

Getting a # 3 starter is something Dombrowski needs to get done.

Eflin can not be counted on to finish out the season and it is insanity to keep running bottom of barrel relievers out there once a week for a " Bullpen " game.

Hopefully Suarez stays healthy.

Wheeler, Nola , #3 trade, Suarez and Gibson should be enough starting pitching to get a wildcard spot even with the hitting being up and down.

Kyle Freeland from the Rockies is still young, He should be available and has a decent ERA away from Coors Field.

Frankie Montas would be nice, but in demand.

On the lower end Kyle Hendricks of the Cubs would be had cheap, maybe get Ian Happ also.
phtown

Post by phtown »

Watching the futures game with O'Hoppe mic'd up. Has the looks of a star for what that's worth. Phillies' Eric Miller throwing to him now.
Last edited by phtown on Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schooldoc

Post by schooldoc »

I'd rank the Phils' needs as follows:
1. starting pitching
2. center field
3. bullpen

Offensively, the Phils need more from some guys already on the roster (Castellanos, Didi, JT to name three), and of course to have Harper and Segura return and perform to their level. If they get that, they'll be ok.

The bullpen has really been effective since 6/1 or so, with guys falling into roles pretty nicely. The additions of Brogdon and Romero the past week shouldn't be overlooked. They have some depth there now, as exemplified by the fact that Mark Appel--who did nothing wrong while he was with the Phils--was sent down.

With the uncertainty surrounding Zach Eflin and the failure of anyone to grab the CF job for themselves, those are the two holes I think Dombrowski looks at for the deadline.

I do not expect to be overwhelmed though. The market for starters is thin, and the Phils don't have a lot of spare parts to move from their system.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think a guy that would make a lot of sense for CF is Michael A. Taylor. They don't have a lot of those mid-level prospects to trade, though, and CF is in short supply.

As far as starting pitchers, the Pirates' Jose Quintana feels like one of those typical Phillies trade-deadline acquisitions. Anything to end the bullpen games.

None of it will matter if they don't hit, though.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sounds like Syndergaard rental could be trade fit for Phillies
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Benentendi to the Yanks for three minor league pitchers.
Ben Grimm

Post by Ben Grimm »

schooldoc wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:26 am I'd rank the Phils' needs as follows:
1. starting pitching
2. center field
3. bullpen

Offensively, the Phils need more from some guys already on the roster (Castellanos, Didi, JT to name three), and of course to have Harper and Segura return and perform to their level. If they get that, they'll be ok.

The bullpen has really been effective since 6/1 or so, with guys falling into roles pretty nicely. The additions of Brogdon and Romero the past week shouldn't be overlooked. They have some depth there now, as exemplified by the fact that Mark Appel--who did nothing wrong while he was with the Phils--was sent down.

With the uncertainty surrounding Zach Eflin and the failure of anyone to grab the CF job for themselves, those are the two holes I think Dombrowski looks at for the deadline.

I do not expect to be overwhelmed though. The market for starters is thin, and the Phils don't have a lot of spare parts to move from their system.
I prefer Happ over Benintendi - especially since he's got another year of control. I agree with your opinion of starting pitchers. I see nothing more than a #4-5 type at best. Sort of how they got Kyle Lohse back in '07. Or Hellickson in '15. I'm sure we can add another dozen to this.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think there's a misconception about Happ. He can't be a full-time CF at this point, and he *definitely* can't be a CF whose job is provide extra coverage for a subpar LF and RF. Certainly the Phillies need to upgrade their offense from CF, but even more important is that they need a glove guy there.