Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: 8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by mrmountie »

This is a great deadline for "taking out the trash"
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Overall, a very Phillies-esque deadline, under any GM.
Syndergaard, Robertson, Marsh filled the needs they had, although no needle beyond "needed depth" was moved.
Bullpen has a chance to be a big strength for the first time in eons.
Gone: Herrera, Familia, Moniak.
They're still positioned to dump Didi in the next couple weeks, if they want. No rush.

Cardinals bolstered their pitching with two starting pitchers (Montgomery, Quintana) but didn't make any knockout moves. Brewers dealt their all-star closer and mostly just treaded water. Phillies ultimately must pass one of those two teams in the standings, and it comes down to winning game with one of MLB's easiest down the stretch schedules.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray

The Atlanta Braves are acquiring Raisel Iglesias from the Los Angeles Angels for Jesse Chavez and Tucker Davidson, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Iglesias just signed a four-year, $58 million contract with the #Angels last winter, with $48 million still owed after this season. Atlanta is picking up the entire contract
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

I'd have liked some more done but my top targets either went for prices that were higher than what they realistically should have given up (Mahle) or just didn't move at all (Rodon, Happ, Laureano) so given that they did a nice job.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Maybe Thor can recapture some magic being teamed up with Wheeler again with a chance to wreak havoc on the Mets.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Angels bailed out a lot of teams with their deadline salary dumping. The real crazy sauce will begin when they shop Ohtani this winter.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

mrmountie wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 pm I'd have liked some more done but my top targets either went for prices that were higher than what they realistically should have given up (Mahle) or just didn't move at all (Rodon, Happ, Laureano) so given that they did a nice job.
Yeah, I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger last-hour market for Thor when it turned out all those other options were too costly.

Scratching my head a little that Boston didn't move more pending free agents. Wonder what they were asking for Eovaldi
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Did I miss anything while I was at work today?

Why are the Angels DFAing Trout because of a new CF that they got?
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Looking at the Cardinals schedule. They have some tough series, but 24 of their last 34 games are vs Cubs, Reds, Nats, Pirates
It is going to be tough
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:39 pm Looking at the Cardinals schedule. They have some tough series, but 24 of their last 34 games are vs Cubs, Reds, Nats, Pirates
It is going to be tough
Well, then look at it as we're chasing the Brewers, with our easy schedule and our hitters returning.
Brewers currently lead us by 2 games.
If we can't be 3 games better than Milwaukee between now and the end of season, multiple things have gone drastically wrong and missing the playoffs is only one of their worries.