8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: 8/2 Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:22 am Syndergaard, Quintana and Taylor would be a quality deadline haul

Wheeler
Nola
Suarez
Quintana
Syndergaard

No more bullpen games. Make Gibson the long man/spot starter/depth. Define a bullpen role for Falter (or, more likely, he's in one of the trades, which is fine)
What makes you think that there is any chance that they are trading for 2 starters?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Oh, to be clear, I doubt they do any of it.
I was just trying to outline what a quality GM/owner might do at this deadline to best reinforce the team for the stretch run (without making some crazy proposal like "get Ohtani, Montas and Soto".) I think you have to look at this through the lens of "with Harper back and a staff that can give you quality starts throughout a playoff series, this team could be dangerous in October."
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm Oh, to be clear, I doubt they do any of it.
I was just trying to outline what a quality GM/owner might do at this deadline to best reinforce the team for the stretch run (without making some crazy proposal like "get Ohtani, Montas and Soto".) I think you have to look at this through the lens of "with Harper back and a staff that can give you quality starts throughout a playoff series, this team could be dangerous in October."
With Nola & Wheeler as the top 2 and a bullpen that (hopefully) is now decent, certainly they would have a shot in the playoffs. Problem remains their offense. They desperately need Castellanos to hit like expected. I just continue to worry that they could have a real bad stretch ending playoff hopes if their pitching does not continue to dominate.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I'm just not even sure where to add offense, beyond center field, where the glove must come first.

They need to keep letting Stott and Bohm develop. Beyond that, I'm content with letting their hopes sink or swim based on whether Castellanos/Realmuto hit and whether Segura/Harper return.

But I really don't want to see a bullpen game every week for the rest of the season. The pitching has carried them. Reinforcing it with a starting pitcher ups the odds that the pitching can continue to let them skate by until someone/anyone hits.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:53 pm I'm just not even sure where to add offense, beyond center field, where the glove must come first.

They need to keep letting Stott and Bohm develop. Beyond that, I'm content with letting their hopes sink or swim based on whether Castellanos/Realmuto hit and whether Segura/Harper return.

But I really don't want to see a bullpen game every week for the rest of the season. The pitching has carried them. Reinforcing it with a starting pitcher ups the odds that the pitching can continue to let them skate by until someone/anyone hits.
A DH/OF would help them through August. Hall is not a solution
Vegas Eagle Fan

Post by Vegas Eagle Fan »

Michael Jack wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:09 am
Vegas Eagle Fan wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:10 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Agree on Familia, but Moniak can't hit a lick
Moniak is hitting over .300 leading off and is their best defensive CF. Am I convinced that his hitting will translate to the majors I don't know, but he needs more of a chance than he was given. Stott is improving at the plate but it has taken him a lot of bats to stop chasing bad pitches.. A lot of these young guys need a year for them to improve at the plate.
Moniak can't hit a breaking ball. He's not the answer, but maybe they can convince some team to take him as a throw-in in some trade.
I just looked at Moniak's splits, for the last 30, 15 and 7 days he has been hitting poorly. So stand corrected.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Puleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese get rid of Odumbel.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Everyone - the fans, the writers and even the players, are confident Dave Dombrowski will do something to help the club before the trade deadline. What do you think? And, what if he doesn't or doesn't do enough?
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Michael Jack wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:56 pm Everyone - the fans, the writers and even the players, are confident Dave Dombrowski will do something to help the club before the trade deadline. What do you think? And, what if he doesn't or doesn't do enough?
I expect marginal moves like last year (like the SS they got yesterday) - nothing that has much of an impact on their chances
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

So that was their last game before the deadline. When Bryce went down and with their offensive issues, I thought they were cooked, but thanks to the pitching, JT & Bohm, right where they need to be after their 22-29 start

Go get a solid starter and a + OF bat