The State of Philaphans (Please Read)

Our Temp Home - Welcome
BelmontShore
Site Admin

The State of Philaphans (Please Read)

Post by BelmontShore »

Hello folks,

Just wanted to take a moment to talk about us. Although some of the posting has slowed, we have a great representation of members and, by and large, you all have come by to share thoughts and participate in GDTs.

I think the slow start and frustrating beginning to the Phillies' season made it hard to want to watch them, let alone talk about them. But they've been strong since the managerial change and now we have Eagles' football back and I would hope more conversation will result. The 76ers are gonna be must see TV.

Philaphans has been stable and manageable. I'd like to know what you guys think. What do you think about the software? Should we look for a more feature rich program? Is there anything you'd like to add? Do you miss having our archives or is the fresh start acceptable? I've gotten through a lot of our old files and we'd have to go back to find an uncompromised database and even then,. I couldn't be 100% sure something isn't buried. Doesn't make it very comfortable. I really would like some feedback, constructive criticism.

Lastly, since 2017, when the owner stopped sharing funds from ad revenue, and I had to remove ads from the site, I've been coming out of pocket for every expense. This was prompted because I just dropped a chunk with the domain name renewals added. I've been wrestling with this internally myself or quite a while, but I think it's time to ask if members would consider donating to take some of the monthly/quarterly burden. I will post a Paypal donation button for those who would like to help out.

I'm sure you all know, maintaining this place has been vitally important to me and I have no plans to stop. This is our 20th year, since April, actually. I don't know if anyone realized it, but Jeff started this place in 2002 and we are, by far, the longest running community in Philly message boards. I'd really appreciate some help in continuing. I don't want any one person to assume the burden, I'd like it to be something we share.

Cheers to our Philaphans Community. It has been a sincere honor to be with so many of you for these 20 years. I hope we're all here for another 20. I plan on it. Hope you do, too.

Thanks,

Ron
(Bel)
FolesMVP09

Re: The State of Philaphans (Please Read)

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Bel, I am ok with the fresh start, so one vote for no need for archives

I miss being able to like posts and sending private messages

I appreciate all that you do. I have seen some new posters register, hopefully they will become more active when Eagles season starts

Would be nice to have the first Phillies playoff GDT in 11 years, so I will keep on hoping
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Totally on board ,Folesey..And Bels,as one of the old,surely the oldest guard,you have been a rower of strength for all these years
We’ve had our ups and downs,but as I head down the 18th fairway,this place is my last refuge and my place to rant,rave,laugh,and to commiserate with all like-minded
Phanatics. So,I’d be more than happy to contribute to the cause .Just tell me how,where and when
Keep on keep in’ on, brother.
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

Just sent you a donation.

I do not post near as much as I did many years ago, but it's always nice to see the familiar names.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Would love something with an app.

Sent something over via PayPal. Remind more often, I honestly forget
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

First, thanks for ALL you do, Ron. You're incredible.

It's pretty amazing that we're still around after all these years. We're the Julio Franco of message boards. (Well, we'll be the Julio Franco of message boards in about 3 years. Right now, we're the Arthur Rhodes of message boards.)

I think what we have now is a perfectly fine meat-and-potatoes message board system. Speaking for myself, we don't really need bells and whistles at this point, like the millenials and all their newfangled stuff.

I'm 100% fine with no archives. You've already done a herculean effort and it would take even more herculean efforts to safely get them back. I vote "don't worry about it."

It would be fun to be able to +1 posts; it's a nice way to acknowledge meaningful or funny contributions (and ignore the occasional dingleberry posts). But that's not the end of the world, either.

Mostly, thanks again to everyone. And let's hope the Phillies don't give up another 13 dang runs tonight.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Paypay link was broken for me.

I echo everyone else's sentiments - thanks for taking care of the board and keeping it running. It's fine as is.

Also agree that an app would be nice but not wholly necessary.
phtown

Post by phtown »

Link doesn't work for me either. Either that or I have just made 3 or 4 donations in the same amount. Is Venmo an option?
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

sentinelhyder wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:38 pm Paypay link was broken for me.

I echo everyone else's sentiments - thanks for taking care of the board and keeping it running. It's fine as is.

Also agree that an app would be nice but not wholly necessary.
I can check to see if there is an app attachment for this build.

https://www.paypal.me/philaphans2002