Phillies' 2022 GDT #154: 09/28/22 Phillies(83-70) @ Cubs(68-86) - 7:40pm

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: Phillies' 2022 GDT #153: 09/28/22 Phillies(83-70) @ Cubs(68-86) - 7:40pm

Post by Christopher »

My biggest beefs with Thomson were: (1) the Robertson fiasco, which I think 90% of managers make that same mistake in going for the win, (2) refusing to budge from Schwarber as the leadoff guy, which I view as the more serious problem, but not one that's worthy of letting him go.

Most managers have very little effect on wins on losses. I think Thomson deserves another year
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

i dont know about very little, can certainly quibble about in game strategy having an impact but the win/loss numbers since Thomson took over speak for themselves. im sure there was a big change in the locker room dynamic as well. i dont think Girardi was well liked and i think it impacted the performance on the field.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I agree. Just asking.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:37 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:17 pm Last night my negativity about this team annoyed Chris. I like Chris, so he is not someone that I want to annoy
Trust me, my friend, you and your comments don't even rank in the top 10,000 of things that annoy me. You're a positive.
Sometimes I just allow myself to be demoralized by fatalism that lacks perspective. It's just a game. Even when we know where the spiral is probably going, it can still be somewhat fun. It's still just a game. I mean, we're basically just busting our asses to win a couple extra games this week so that we can have the fun of losing two games next week, right?
If there was a 3 game series with Wheeler/Nola going the first 2 games, you'd have a puncher's chance against the Cards. Better than no chance

11 years without a playoff appearance is depressing. I remember how happy I was the last day of the 07 season when the Phils won the division. My mood was so good that the Giants crushing the Eagles on SNF didn't even bother me (The Winston Justice billion sack game). Yes in less than a week it was all over (that was a depressing series), but we had a few days to dream....

I have no expectations for a playoff run, just like to have a few days of feeling good about this team for a change
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:52 pm My biggest beefs with Thomson were: (1) the Robertson fiasco, which I think 90% of managers make that same mistake in going for the win, (2) refusing to budge from Schwarber as the leadoff guy, which I view as the more serious problem, but not one that's worthy of letting him go.

Most managers have very little effect on wins on losses. I think Thomson deserves another year
Agreed. He was getting ripped on twitter for bringing in Brogdon, but when you score 1 run, I don't focus on the bullpen decisions
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I do think the GM is the most important person in baseball, just as the NBA is a players league and the NFL is a coaches league. In baseball, the manager can only deal with what he's been given to work with. In all sports, however, a sign of a good coach or manager is how hard the players play for him. In the Phillies case, for whatever reason, it's clear the Phillies would rather play for Thomson than Girardi. I do have problems with how he's handled the bullpen, but he can only use what is available to him. I do think it's been better than what Kapler and Girardi did, but the main problem is not enough talent. The other thing I don't like it Schwarber and Hoskins hitting one and two. I just don't get it--even though there is not a true leadoff hitter on the team. That's a front office problem. Also, Kapler and Girardi also hit Hoskins, primarily in the two spot. No one can convince me this is a good idea.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 pm
Christopher wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:52 pm My biggest beefs with Thomson were: (1) the Robertson fiasco, which I think 90% of managers make that same mistake in going for the win, (2) refusing to budge from Schwarber as the leadoff guy, which I view as the more serious problem, but not one that's worthy of letting him go.

Agreed. He was getting ripped on twitter for bringing in Brogdon, but when you score 1 run, I don't focus on the bullpen decisions
Brogdon should not pitch in a close game for the rest of the year, but Thomson said several guys were unavailable. Is this a manager's decision, a players decision or a front office philosophy? Maybe it's just me, but with just nine games left and a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, I don't want to hear that a pitcher is unavailable.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Michael Jack wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Brogdon should not pitch in a close game for the rest of the year, but Thomson said several guys were unavailable. Is this a manager's decision, a players decision or a front office philosophy? Maybe it's just me, but with just nine games left and a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, I don't want to hear that a pitcher is unavailable.
Outside of Alvarado & Eflin; there is no one in that bullpen that I have any confidence in. Thompson is in a bad spot with the bullpen
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:57 pm If there was a 3 game series with Wheeler/Nola going the first 2 games, you'd have a puncher's chance against the Cards. Better than no chance

11 years without a playoff appearance is depressing. I remember how happy I was the last day of the 07 season when the Phils won the division. My mood was so good that the Giants crushing the Eagles on SNF didn't even bother me (The Winston Justice billion sack game). Yes in less than a week it was all over (that was a depressing series), but we had a few days to dream....

I have no expectations for a playoff run, just like to have a few days of feeling good about this team for a change
I don't know. I just feels different. 2007 was a longer drought, plus the excitement of how they finished in September and winning the division. It felt like a team on the upswing. This core is so much older than 2007, so it's hard to see this as the start of anything. Plus, making it to October by finishing third in your division is just cheesy.

It's funny. Now that it looks like the pitching is going to be a big strength -- a Painter, Abel, McGarry rotation by 2024?? -- now we realize it will be time to start complaining about not developing hitters. When you were once blessed with Ruiz, Howard, Utley, Rollins, Burrell, then Stott/Bohm feels a little lightweight, LOL.

BTW, did y'all see that O'Hoppe hit 11 HR in 131 minor-league plate appearances for the Angels. I hope we don't end up regretting moving that piece. They pretty much have to give Marsh CF next season to try to save face.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:57 pm If there was a 3 game series with Wheeler/Nola going the first 2 games, you'd have a puncher's chance against the Cards. Better than no chance

I don't know. I just feels different. 2007 was a longer drought, plus the excitement of how they finished in September and winning the division. It felt like a team on the upswing. This core is so much older than 2007, so it's hard to see this as the start of anything. Plus, making it to October by finishing third in your division is just cheesy.

It's funny. Now that it looks like the pitching is going to be a big strength -- a Painter, Abel, McGarry rotation by 2024?? -- now we realize it will be time to start complaining about not developing hitters. When you were once blessed with Ruiz, Howard, Utley, Rollins, Burrell, then Stott/Bohm feels a little lightweight, LOL.

BTW, did y'all see that O'Hoppe hit 11 HR in 131 minor-league plate appearances for the Angels. I hope we don't end up regretting moving that piece. They pretty much have to give Marsh CF next season to try to save face.
I'd be shocked if Marsh is not the opening day CF next year
O'Hoppe was called up today as I assume that you are aware.