Phillies' NLDS Game 1 GDT: 10/11/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Braves(0-0) - 1:07pm

Moderator: Christopher

phtown

Re: Phillies' NLDS Game 1 GDT: 10/11/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Braves(0-0) - 1:07pm

Post by phtown »

You have to tip your cap to Olson for hitting that pitch out. Looked like a good curve ball to me, below the knees. I would not bury Eflin for that. He was throwing strikes while avoiding the middle/middle and was hitting spots around the corners. If his arm bounces back I wouldn't be afraid to use him in other high leverage spots.
Christopher

Re: Phillies' NLDS Game 1 GDT: 10/11/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Braves(0-0) - 1:07pm

Post by Christopher »

phtown wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:36 pm You have to tip your cap to Olson for hitting that pitch out. Looked like a good curve ball to me, below the knees. I would not bury Eflin for that. He was throwing strikes while avoiding the middle/middle and was hitting spots around the corners. If his arm bounces back I wouldn't be afraid to use him in other high leverage spots.
I won't bury Eflin for one pitch, BUT the reality is that he hasn't had a clean ninth inning yet. He's allowing too many baserunners and doesn't have the ability to whiff guys to get out of trouble that you'd like to see in a closer. He's also benefited from some good defense behind him. It's only a matter of time before he costs us a game, IMO. If the biggest threats are in the 7th or 8th, you need to continue using your best relievers situationally. But at this point I also think Thomson should be plotting to save Alvarado or Dominguez for the ninth, as feasible.