Batting Lineup change

Moderator: Christopher

Vegas Eagle Fan

Batting Lineup change

Post by Vegas Eagle Fan »

Quotes from an article I read prior to game 2.

Phillies: Manager Rob Thomson was asked before Game 2 if he might consider shuffling his lineup with Kyle Schwarber scuffling. After going hitless with three strikeouts in Game 2, Schwarber is 0-for-16 with two RBIs and eight strikeouts in four postseason games.

“I’ve given no thought to it, because that's who Schwarb is,” Thomson said. “He goes through some down times. But when they're good times and he's hot, he's as hot as anybody. So we'll just wait it out.”

With this line of thinking, he may be waiting until next year. I can understand patience but right now the hitting from the one and two holes are beyond pathetic.
sentinelhyder

Re: Batting Lineup change

Post by sentinelhyder »

Wait it out? That may be fine during the regular season but its a best of 3 with 2 at home. its not like your benching him, he'd be moving down. He's pressing or something and watching very hittable pitches go by.

Then again if its Morton Friday, keep him at lead off. If he can't breakout against Morton he's lost for this series.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I've said for a long time how much I hate Hoskins hitting #2. I also don't like Schwarber hitting first, but when he is going good, it's nice to out a run on the board right away. However, even though these two shouldn't be hitting first and second, they should not be hitting back to back anywhere in the lineup. Schwarber had 200 k's and Rhys had 179. That's just no going to work. The Phils don't really have a leadoff hitter, but these two are killing the offense right now.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

I understand, even though I don't like it and would prefer an adjustment, at least in the 2 hole.

He has to serve the clubhouse because these guys like and trust one another. They've found a way when fans and media didn't believe in them even a little bit.

If he changes, he sends a message to the clubhouse that isn't in keeping with how he's handled them since he took over.

They've taken ownership of this season and this playoff run. He has to let them determine their own fate. If they fail, Dombrowski has to make the necessary changes.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
phtown

Post by phtown »

Amen. A change is warranted but Topper can't risk making one now. Would smell of panic.

OTOH, I would prefer Segura, Realmuto, Harper, Castellanos, Bohm, Schwarber, Hoskins, Marsh, Stott. In the late innings you can mix and match pinch hitters at 8 and 9 spots.
Next year let's hope Trea Turner gets 700 at bats in the leadoff spot.
Last edited by phtown on Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

phtown wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:41 pm Amen. A change is warranted but Topper can't risk making one now. Would smell of panic.
You don't panic when you are playing .500 ball in May, and your 1, and 2 hitters aren't producing.

I get it, but what do you do tomorrow should they lose today, and both of them go 0-8? Stay the course?
phtown

Post by phtown »

I agree the order should be juggled, but will have to trust Topper at this point.

If it were me Hoskins would have been altogether gone a long time ago. Odds are that over a lengthy season, he compiles stats but he will never be reliable under pressure in the field or at the plate. He'd be a perfect fit in Kansas City.

Now go out today and prove me wrong Ryce!
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

phtown wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:19 pm I agree the order should be juggled, but will have to trust Topper at this point.

If it were me Hoskins would have been altogether gone a long time ago. Odds are that over a lengthy season, he compiles stats but he will never be reliable under pressure in the field or at the plate. He'd be a perfect fit in Kansas City.

Now go out today and prove me wrong Ryce!
Or. .even Rhys
phtown

Post by phtown »

Yeah, him too. :D