Phillies' World Series Game 1 GDT: 10/28/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Astros(0-0) - 8:03pm

Moderator: Christopher

philliefanatic

Re: Phillies' World Series Game 1 GDT: 10/28/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Astros(0-0) - 8:03pm

Post by philliefanatic »

jrollin24 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:40 pm By no means do I take what the Astros have done lightly- they are a great team. But facing the Mariners (very close series, totally untested playoff team) and the Yankees with a shell of a lineup outside of Judge and no where near the pen we are used to seeing, I don't see a steamroll. The Phillies navigating 2 in STL, beating the defending champs in 4, and taking out the team that beat the Dodgers in 5, to me, sounds like the much harder road.

Houston is the better team, but the Nats and Braves both found ways to beat them with rosters that I would say are on par or worse than what the Phillies have right now.

As everyone said, split in Houston and we have something here.
Yes and also lets not forget the Phillies are 10-2 in the playoffs thus far.
Christopher

Re: Phillies' World Series Game 1 GDT: 10/28/22 Phillies(0-0) @ Astros(0-0) - 8:03pm

Post by Christopher »

Matt Gelb
@MattGelb
Aaron Nola will start Game 1 of the World Series. Zack Wheeler in Game 2. Rob Thomson said there will be a few changes to the roster, but that won’t be finalized until Friday.

I would wonder whether they will renew their scrutiny of Robertson's health. But, then again, I think his performance in Game 4 (not Game 5) made it seem like he can contribute, unless he's reinjured.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Jack Fritz
@JackFritzWIP
Morning Phils thoughts:

1. Yes, I think it’s a mistake not to pitch Wheeler game 1. I need him for game 5 and 7, not just for games 2 and 6.

2. Series could very well come down to Castellanos. The Astros can’t let Bryce beat them, it’s going to be on Cast to make them pay.

====================

I agree with #2 and how this could come down to Castellanos.

I disagree with #1. Wheeler absolutely needs an extra day of rest, and it's not like chopped liver having Nola for 1, 5 and 7.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Christopher wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:45 pm Matt Gelb
@MattGelb
Aaron Nola will start Game 1 of the World Series. Zack Wheeler in Game 2. Rob Thomson said there will be a few changes to the roster, but that won’t be finalized until Friday.

I would wonder whether they will renew their scrutiny of Robertson's health. But, then again, I think his performance in Game 4 (not Game 5) made it seem like he can contribute, unless he's reinjured.
Wonder if they find a spot for Hall on the roster with pretty much all righty pitchers. Of course, if it ain't broke...
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:09 pm Jack Fritz
@JackFritzWIP
Morning Phils thoughts:

1. Yes, I think it’s a mistake not to pitch Wheeler game 1. I need him for game 5 and 7, not just for games 2 and 6.

2. Series could very well come down to Castellanos. The Astros can’t let Bryce beat them, it’s going to be on Cast to make them pay.

====================

I agree with #2 and how this could come down to Castellanos.

I disagree with #1. Wheeler absolutely needs an extra day of rest, and it's not like chopped liver having Nola for 1, 5 and 7.
Agree with both. I also think that at least one of Marsh/Bohm/Stott need to have a big series as well

Phils will need to win 3 of Nola/Wheeler's starts to have a real shot; doesn't matter the order if they don't pitch like aces
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Captain Obvious wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:30 pm
Christopher wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:45 pm Matt Gelb
@MattGelb

Wonder if they find a spot for Hall on the roster with pretty much all righty pitchers. Of course, if it ain't broke...
I think they will add either Hall or Maton. There are arguments for both, but I think Maton brings more to the bench and I like him better against tough pitchers.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The roof will be closed for World Series Games 1-2 at Minute Maid Park.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

DAvis /Smoltz again. I thought some of Davis' calls were really good (Harper HR, JT inside the parker). I do not like Smoltz. I guess if anything they are sort of good luck considering they announced the Braves and Pads series.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Houston is the better team. They are one of the better teams I have ever seen because of their pitching.

Going to be very tough. Can't give away runs, need some stellar pitching from Nola, Wheeler & the bullpen and enough offense to win 2-1, 3-2 type games.

Phils would need to split the first 2; find a way to split 3/4 and then would need Nola/Wheeler to be lights out in 5/6

If they lose because Houston was just better the team, I can live with that. Losses due to errors, mental mistakes and/or bad blown leads would be extremely disappointing.

Before they won in 08, my mindset was that I just wanted to see one more title before I got too old. I got that as did my parents (die-hard fans) who passed in 2017. To get a 3rd one would be beyond awesome as who knows if/when they will get an opportunity again.

Within just 9 days we will know the outcome. Will either be quick and painless, long and torturous or ideally put us in a state of orgasmic bliss

Do I believe that they will win - no, but hope is alive. 4 weeks ago today was the last game in the Cubs sweep, so the fact that they just need 4 wins remains like a dream

Go Phillies!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Things that could make for a very fun World Series:
-- Dominant aces and a quality start by Suarez
-- Schwarber and Hoskins stay hot ...
-- ... and Castellanos and Realmuto get hot
-- Dominguez doesn't have to throw a soaking-wet ball
-- Houston gets rattled at CBP
-- Houston in general starts to feel the pressure of being overwhelming favorite

Things that could make for a very short World Series:
-- Houston gets into Philly bullpen early and often
-- Alvarado or Dominguez come back down to earth at a key moment (I could forgive them; they've been so good, but they're human)
-- Astros take crowd out of the CBP games

I hope the Phillies can just keep the same loosey-goosey approach they've had. This is little different than facing the World Champion Braves in a short series or those Padres stars in the NLCS. Houston is the best team in baseball, but they're not unbeatable.