The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by Christopher »

Not to keep praising the Marsh deal in retrospect, but it's really nice not having to worry about CF.

That might be the area that is hardest to fill around the majors right now -- a lot of hopeful contenders are still looking for even an average player to put there.

I mean, the Blue Jays just handed Kevin Kiermaier and his .281 on-base percentage $9 million.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Phillies among the teams looking at Seth Lugo, who will cost under $5M

He is still hoping to start, though, and Phillies want him as a reliever.

I still think the Phillies should consider a 6-man rotation to start the season. Theoretically Lugo could be part of that, though there are many options. Hell, they could even give Hamels a whirl.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

[The Phillies on Friday announced they've signed right-hander Taijuan Walker to a four-year deal. Terms of the contract were not announced, but a source told MLB.com it's for $72 million. To make room for Walker on the club’s 40-man roster, right-hander Tayler Scott was designated for assignment.]

Really good #4,.which is really all they needed. Suarez is the real deal and since they're obviously sticking with Nola, there isn't a spot for a $28m arm.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Christopher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 pm Phillies among the teams looking at Seth Lugo, who will cost under $5M

I still think the Phillies should consider a 6-man rotation to start the season. Theoretically Lugo could be part of that, though there are many options. Hell, they could even give Hamels a whirl.
Are they done with bats? Any for the bench?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Phillies officially announce the Taijuan Walker signing. Tayler Scott DFA’d to make room.

Walker will wear No. 99. He’s the first Phillies player to wear that number since So Taguchi.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

BelmontShore wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:48 pm
Christopher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 pm Phillies among the teams looking at Seth Lugo, who will cost under $5M

Who knows? I'm sure there might be some bargains available who could be platoon DH/corner guys, but how high is the need there.

Figure bench is coming from Vierling, Guthrie, Hall, Maton, Sosa, Stubbs, Muzziotti. If you want multiple $20M+ superstars, you need some cheap guys, too.

One thought I have, though, is whether they could get Segura back as a superutility guy for something like 1/7. He's well-liked, I think he bounces back in 2023 and would really bolster the depth. Provide nice insurance, too.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Alex Carr
@AlexCarrMLB
Taijuan Walker said his close friend, Brad Miller, told him Philadelphia was “the best clubhouse he’s ever been in.”

(Which is weird because that was Girardi's club)
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Christopher wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm

Who knows? I'm sure there might be some bargains available who could be platoon DH/corner guys, but how high is the need there.

Figure bench is coming from Vierling, Guthrie, Hall, Maton, Sosa, Stubbs, Muzziotti. If you want multiple $20M+ superstars, you need some cheap guys, too.

One thought I have, though, is whether they could get Segura back as a superutility guy for something like 1/7. He's well-liked, I think he bounces back in 2023 and would really bolster the depth. Provide nice insurance, too.
I don't think Segura wants to be a bench guy, unless they sell it as a platoon with Stott at 2b.

I agree with Chris as they will wait and see what's on the pile as far as a bench veteran.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:32 pm I don't think Segura wants to be a bench guy, unless they sell it as a platoon with Stott at 2b.

I agree with Chris as they will wait and see what's on the pile as far as a bench veteran.
I agree. I think Segura is still good enough that he'll find an everyday job somewhere. He might even get something as high as 2/20, though I think that's a reach. Maybe a mutual option for the second year, or something like that.

I still think he can be a valuable bat: 10-12 HRs with a .330-ish OBP from a guy who can play multiple INF positions
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm

Biggest question is how they will replace Bryce for 1/2 the season (regardless of positions)

I think they may try for a Hall platoon maybe with Sosa.