The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by FolesMVP09 »

I'm ok with going after Rodon, but this line-up needs improvement. Ultimately it was their offense, not their pitching that lost the World Series. So hopefully they attack both
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 pm I'm ok with going after Rodon, but this line-up needs improvement. Ultimately it was their offense, not their pitching that lost the World Series. So hopefully they attack both
I've been thinking a lot about whether the Phillies' National League pennant was a series of good fortunes that we shouldn't mistake for the reality of the National League pecking order .... or the reality of how good this team is, specifically the October pitching.

It's a little of both, of course. We earned the pennant, 100%, with a month's worth of clutch performances from hitters and pitchers. But we also benefited from the health (and possible mismanagement) of Helsley and Strider. We also benefits from Dusty's dumb decisions with Verlander and McCullers, but that ultimately didn't burn the Astros, because they have enough quality pitching to fill 2 or 3 rosters. It was simply insurmountable. When their pitching is on, no one is beating them. Not even the Phillies if you added Trea Turner and Aaron Judge.

Our offense is what it is (and, yes, it absolutely need a better bat to replace Segura). It's an offense that will win a lot of games when it gets home happy. It's an offense that can win playoff series against teams that aren't the Astros.

But it's with the pitching that I keep wondering if October 2022 can be replicated. The shutdown starts from Nola and Wheeler. Suarez's work in the NLCS and World Series. And a bullpen that, until they just got worn out from 17 grueling postseason games, had one shutdown appearance after another in key moments.

I don't think that can be replicated with who we have now. Even if you add a Painter and some solid journeyman free agents.

I think October showed us that aces matter, and you can never have enough pitching. You can add bats at the deadline, you usually can't land an ace, unless you trade your top 3 prospects. ... Rodon costs nothing but money, and I think he's the single free agent out that who I could point and say, "that's a difference-maker who can get us past the Braves, Dodgers or Padres and back into the World Series."
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

What this season showed (as did the past few) - you just need to make the playoffs and you have a shot. A deep bullpen would go a long way.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

IMO, the line up was flawed all season. It lacked the nits and gnats to get on base before the big bats. Solo homers are nice but three run jobs win the games. The inability of the top of the order to get on base and keep it moving was a killer all season. Has to be remedied.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

I'm surprised how long it's taking for bodies to start moving.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:18 am I'm surprised how long it's taking for bodies to start moving.
What bodies? free agents?

It is almost always slow these days. You are spoiled by the NFL/NBA free agency
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Maybe that's it.

I still would have thought someone would have made a splash, early.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:01 am Maybe that's it.

I still would have thought someone would have made a splash, early.
I think the pattern we have been seeing over the last 5 years will continue. Smaller guys get signed first with the bigger ones wating to see who signs first. I don't think we know what the roster is until first day of Spring training and that might be pushing it.

Didn't Harper sign almost a week into Spring Training?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Todd Zolecki
@ToddZolecki
Bryce Harper will have UCL surgery next Wednesday. Not sure if it will be Tommy John surgery or not, so timetable to return in 2023 is unknown.

=========================

So that means we open the season with the DH spot unfilled, and presumably Schwarber & Castellanos on the corners and Hoskins at 1B.

There's an opportunity here to get aggressive and not "wing it" until Harper returns. Sign a corner outfielder and let Schwarber/Castellanos rotate at OF/DH.

Or add a 1B and let Hoskins DH

Really don't want a third of a season of mixing in Vierling, Hall, etc.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Todd Zolecki
@ToddZolecki
Dave Dombrowski said they plan on keeping one rotation job open for a youngster in Falter, Sanchez, Painter. Will want to add another starter beyond that.