The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:28 pm So what's the state of the rotation right now?

1. Wheeler
2. Nola
3. Suarez
4. _______
5. Falter
6. Painter (later in 2023)

Obviously, there's Rodon talk, but he's got a dozen teams eyeing him. What are the Phillies' realistic odds there? 10%

I think they need depth just as much as they need solid guy to add to Wheeler/Nola/Suarez. I'd like to see them add TWO starting pitchers. What does everyone think of Jose Quintana, who might have been remembered as the guy who quickly shut down the Phillies' postseason if it hadn't been for the 9th inning of Game 1? I think he could be had on a two-year deal. ... Worst case scenario, you're getting innings from a guy who's essentially a #4. The innings have to come from somewhere, right?
Agree with you - I would be extremely surprised if they make a big push for a starter

Quintana I'd be ok with

Could also see them going after Stripling. Or maybe take a long shot like Bundy
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Bundy feels shot to me at this point. He's really only had one good year. Let him sign with the Pirates or Rays and try to find himself.

Stripling feels a little suspect too. Not paying him for what he did last year.

Not sure about Eovaldi, either. He was really homer-happy last year.

I think it comes down to cost, if you're talking a guy to pad out the rotation depth (after getting, perhaps, Quintana). .... I think this is a spot where you take advantage of the rare opportunity to sign someone who's interested in playing in Philly because of the World Series run, the city and the shot at a ring. Maybe get a discount there.

And I'll say this: I'm not 100% opposed to Thor on a one-year deal.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Quintana just makes sense as an "early signing," before the market gets tighter and the musical chairs begin. Get him locked up and then there's less pressure and you can see if something else falls in your lap later. You don't want to settle for leftovers for something as big as #4 starter in the competitive NL East.

I'm also in favor of driving up the price on DeGrom by dropping some hints to reporters if there's a chance he'd land with an NL contender.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I wish Masataka Yoshida could play center field, but I'm not seeing any indication that he can.

Even if he had a drop-off to .370 OBP, that would be Top 20 in MLB. Imagine what that could do in this lineup.

If there was a way to move Castellanos and sign Yoshida, you could have:

SS Turner
LF Yoshida
RF Harper
C Realmuto
DH Schwarber
1B Hoskins
3B Bohm
2B Stott
CF Marsh

Holy heck that would be fun
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:15 pm I wish Masataka Yoshida could play center field, but I'm not seeing any indication that he can.

Even if he had a drop-off to .370 OBP, that would be Top 20 in MLB. Imagine what that could do in this lineup.

If there was a way to move Castellanos and sign Yoshida, you could have:

SS Turner
LF Yoshida
RF Harper
C Realmuto
DH Schwarber
1B Hoskins
3B Bohm
2B Stott
CF Marsh

Holy heck that would be fun
You had me at '"move Castellanos"
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
Phillies are believed to have real interest in Xander Bogaerts, Phils honcho Dave Dombrowski has strong link to Bogaerts from his Boston days.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I'm all for "it's not my money, so why should I care," but if Bogaerts is, say, 20-25% cheaper than Turner and allows them better flexibility on additional moves, then maybe that makes sense. Bogaerts has essentially the same great OBP as Turner.

I suspect Phillies just doing their due diligence and if that also helps them with leverage elsewhere, that's good.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The more I think about, the more I think that Rodon needs to be the #1 priority.**

The October run doesn't happen without Wheeler/Nola. If either of those guys isn't up to par when October 2023 comes around, it's going to be a short, disappointing month. For this championship window, let's be aggressive and add Rodon. That way you have 3 aces and you still have a chance for a World Series run if something were to befall one of them.

Let's get three aces and win the division while our hitters are in their primes, because while the hard way was sweet and satisfying, winning 3 straight road series to get to the World Series is not the recommended formula. (You can't count on the Dodgers to fall on their faces every time, for example) I'm still really high on Suarez and Painter, of course. And I think Quintana could certainly help -- and is probably a necessity as a Plan B -- but Rodon is the guy who says, We Want Nothing Less Than A World Championship.

It will probably take 5/135 to land Rodon. Let's do it.

I'll also note this, which you have to take into account if you're aiming to to win two straight pennants: Signing Rodon, by definition, keeps him off the Mets, Cardinals or Dodgers. That's big, too.

**--To be clear, I'm all for adding a All-Star bat to the middle infield too, but I think SP is the #1 priority. I think there must be some level of anticipation and nervousness about the workload they put on Wheeler's and Nola's arms this year.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Today is Harper's elbow evaluation day, as they determine whether surgery is needed. I feel like Castellanos is going to get most of the RF action in the first third of the season.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Christopher wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:30 pm The more I think about, the more I think that Rodon needs to be the #1 priority.**

The October run doesn't happen without Wheeler/Nola. If either of those guys isn't up to par when October 2023 comes around, it's going to be a short, disappointing month. For this championship window, let's be aggressive and add Rodon. That way you have 3 aces and you still have a chance for a World Series run if something were to befall one of them.

Let's get three aces and win the division while our hitters are in their primes, because while the hard way was sweet and satisfying, winning 3 straight road series to get to the World Series is not the recommended formula. (You can't count on the Dodgers to fall on their faces every time, for example) I'm still really high on Suarez and Painter, of course. And I think Quintana could certainly help -- and is probably a necessity as a Plan B -- but Rodon is the guy who says, We Want Nothing Less Than A World Championship.

It will probably take 5/135 to land Rodon. Let's do it.

I'll also note this, which you have to take into account if you're aiming to to win two straight pennants: Signing Rodon, by definition, keeps him off the Mets, Cardinals or Dodgers. That's big, too.

**--To be clear, I'm all for adding a All-Star bat to the middle infield too, but I think SP is the #1 priority. I think there must be some level of anticipation and nervousness about the workload they put on Wheeler's and Nola's arms this year.
i also think they should prioritize a starter. remember it was nola, wheeler, and hope for most of the playoffs. Suarez stepped up somewhat but a solid no. 3 would be worthwhile. On the other hand, a guy that gets on base at the top of the lineup would be make the entire lineup better. so, they should just get both. pay the tax again.