The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies 2022-2023 Off-Season Thread: Nov 6th, 2022

Post by Christopher »

I go back and forth, but I'm not 100% opposed to bringing Robertson back on a one-year deal.
I truly think most of his troubles down the stretch were due to overwork. He's a guy who can share the closing load, so that Alvarado/Dominguez can sometimes handle tough 7th & 8th innings when necessary. And he can still reach back and get some big strikeouts.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Ya know, Rays signing Eflin speaks volumes. Possibly the smartest front office in MLB, if not the, certainly top 2-3. They don't really make mistakes with FA pitching acquisitions. They identify a youngish talent with upside, one they feel they can tinker with and improve then that guy goes into their rotation and kicks ass.

This is one we're liable to be shaking our heads at for a couple of years.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Oh, and please no Robertson. Please, Christopher?

I had enough his 1st time through.

I can't take a guy who walks the 1st batter every appearance. If he doesn't walk the 1st, he strikes out the 1st batter then walks the next two.

Please, no.
🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

It all comes down to cost. They may finally be at a point where they don't have to do stupid spending like Bradley/Knebel/Familia/Hand.

If they're just looking for a veteran to bolster things, I'd rather spend around 1/8 than 2/24 or something -- with the money otherwise going to SP and the lineup
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

And, just as I speak, Chris Martin goes to Boston on 2/17.5

Money is GREAT right now if you're a 7th/8th inning guy. Good thing is a want, not a need, for the Phillies. I think Brogdon will continue to improve and could be as good as any of these guys inking deals

(Please don't dredge that up next May when his ERA is 8.73)
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Taillon 4/60 might just be the move at this point.

Andrew Chafin would be on my bullpen shopping list.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

In other news, Stark reported we're interviewing all 4 shortstops: Turner, Correa, Bogaerts & Swanson

I think that can just be filed under "due diligence"

I would say Turner's still the likeliest and Swanson would really surprise me, as he's really not close to the other three. (They can pick his brain about the Braves, though)

I guess the intriguing thing -- though it might just be Heyman propaganda -- is the idea of Correa being in play. I think Turner's the best fit and will remain good for a long time, but Correa might have the highest yet-to-be-achieved ceiling.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Padres have had two in-person meetings with Trea Turner and have legitimate interest, Rosenthal reports

This is the part of the offseason where I start to get nervous.
You can have all the money and aggressive intentions you want; nothing is guaranteed, and there are only so many superstars.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Padres have reportedly offered Turner $300 million and feel optimistic. Turner was supposedly looking to sign with a team that trains in Florida, but this offer seems too good to be true. A S.D. F.O. source says the Phils have cooled. So are the Phils still in it? Did they release to the press they will looking at all four SS as due dilligence or because they feel Turner is slipping away? I still have some hope for Turner, but not as much as I did before. To me, he was the best choice. I have questions about Correa's injury history, Bogaerts glove and Swanson's bat, but there is a lot to like on all of them. The thing is, the fans are expecting a big move soon, but Bogaerts and Correa are Boras clients, so don't look for them to sign before spring training.