The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Moderator: Christopher

Captain Obvious

The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Post by Captain Obvious »

Our Gang is back in Clearwater (or Clearwooder) for another exciting season of Phillies Baseball.

Many questions will need to be answered these next few weeks as Our Gang prepares for a long season and a possible World Series repeat.
FolesMVP09

Re: The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Padres sign Hamels to a minor league contract.

Phils should have taken a shot with him as a 5th starter.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Listen, I hope Hamels has a great comeback (as long it doesn't involve beating Phillies in October)

But I have to think Phillies did due diligence and this might be more a case where Hamels both didn't have many sniffs and, all things considered, preferred to be close to home and in a nice climate, especially if it's a long shot.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The Phillies have signed left-handed reliever José Alvarado to a three-year contract extension, taking him through 2025 with a club option for 2026

2023: $3.45M
2024: $9M
2025: $9M
2026: Club option for $9M (500K buyout)

That's a really great deal. Part of me thought the reason they acquired Soto was because there was a likelihood they'd let Alvarado walk in free agency after this season.

Having Dominguez, Alvarado, Soto locked up for multiple years is a great foundation that should provide some stability.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Per the beat reporters, Phillies and Nola are talking long-term deal and that's team's #1 priority at the moment
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Thomson said today that Turner (as he should) will probably lead off to start the year

So maybe something like this?

Trea
Rhys
JT
Schwarber
Bohm
Crapallenos
Stott
Marsh
DH du jour
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Probably way too early to speculate.
I would like to see Schwarber, wherever he is in the lineup, going back to drawing more walks.
Castellanos needs to be in a spot to succeed; even after Harper's return, it's vital for the lineup for him to have a bounce-back year.

I think we're going to see a lot of Castellanos/Schwarber alternating at DH, which means a lot of Guthrie and maybe Cave in the field in the first half.

I'd also like to see them lean on Realmuto less heavily in the first half.

I know Hall will be in this mix too, and then there's Harrison, who I like having on the team but should not really been in the outfield very often at all.

I'm thinking something like:

SS Turner R
1B Hoskins R
OF/DH Schwarber L
C Realmuto R
OF/DH Castellanos R
3B Bohm R
2B Stott L
OF Jake Cave (L) or Dalton Guthrie (R)
CF Marsh L
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Turner's splits last year are interesting.

He had his best OPS out of the leadoff spot, but he also had his highest strikeout percentage batting leading.

He spent the majority of the season batting 2nd or 3rd, and he had 100 RBIs.

Part of me thinks he may better serve this offense hitting with men on base until Harper comes back.

But that depends, too, what kind of production we get from Castellanos, Stott & Bohm. If Casty bounces back and those kids continue to get better, we're in great shape to survive Harper's absence. If not, the middle of this order could struggle and a great leadoff hitter could be wasted.