The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Post by Christopher »

Matt Gelb
@MattGelb
Darick Hall, on his second day of seeing live pitching, crushed two homers on a back field. He’s excited.

Scott Lauber
@ScottLauber
Pitchers are ahead of hitters at this stage of camp, as usual. Kyle Schwarber exalted after making contact against Aaron Nola. Backup catcher Garrett Stubbs promised hitters yesterday that “it’ll get better.”

======================

I'm not very high on Hall, but his path to significant first-half playing time is not difficult. If he gets hot, he'll go north and get a ton of starts against righties. Only real downside is that it puts Schwarber/Castellanos/Hoskins in the field every game vs. righties. They'll really need to use those games vs. lefties to rotate the corner outfielders through the DH spot.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Scott Lauber
@ScottLauber
Edmundo Sosa is working on learning to play center field. #Phillies will get him into games there in spring training with the hope that he could do it during the season.

This makes a ton of sense for flexibility/depth
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Per Scott Lauber, Schwarber potentially batting 2nd
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Todd Zolecki
@ToddZolecki
Rule 5 pick Noah Song has been discharged from the Navy. He will be in camp tomorrow.

-------------------

This is a pretty big deal.
Song is an outstanding prospect but hasn't pitched in three seasons due to Navy service.
To keep him, Phillies would need him on the 25-man roster all season long. My initial gut reaction is that it's worth it ... https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... ng--000noa
Give him low-pressure innings this year to build his arm up, let him be a Triple-A starter next season and he could be a nice piece for the back end of the rotation by late 2024.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matt Winkelman
@Matt_Winkelman
If 2023 Noah Song looks like 2019 Noah song, then you make it work because 2019 Noah Song is at least the 4th best prospect in the org. But we have no idea what he will be like.

=================

That makes it sound like that if Song can bounce back from the long layoff, he has the potential to be way more than a #5 :shock:
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Pete Abraham
@PeteAbe
Song had first-round ability at Navy but fell to the fourth round in 2019 because of his military commitment. He had a 1.07 ERA in seven Rookie Ball starts and was terrific for Team USA in the Premier12 tournament. Hasn't pitch since. But now he gets his shot and is only 25.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Another option for the Phillies: Trade Song to a non-contender that can afford to keep him on the roster for the entire season.

Maybe they could get something in return that's really use for this year, like an above-average bench bat that can play all three OF positions.

Personally, I want to wait it out and see how Song looks. If you think this guy can be a quality MLB starting pitcher by late 2024/25, that's like manna from heaven. Hold onto it.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

26 man roster Chris ;)

Nick Crapallenos is the early leader for Spring Training Nar MVP

Though unlike the Brock Stassi & David Buchanan's of the world, there is actually a history that could make the expectations come true.

That would be huge with Bryce out
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

I think it's going to be an issue with this new pitch clock. It's gonna negatively impact Aaron Nola, mostly, but all the pitchers will be affected. I would anticipate that Nola will have shorter starts as he gets tired more quickly.

With Song in the fold, and the likely emergence of Painter, I will once again advocate for a 6-man rotation. It will also reduce the load on Painter, allowing him to pitch through the season.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think they're in a position to do both these things:

6-man rotation to start:
Nola
Wheeler
Walker
Suarez
Falter
Plassmeyer or Sanchez (skipped when there are multiple off days; weather will be a factor early in the season, too)

Let Painter spend the first third of the season at Triple-A, where it's easier to control rest & pitch counts. Then have him make his MLB debut in late May