The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Moderator: Christopher

BelmontShore
Site Admin

Re: The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Post by BelmontShore »

I've advocated for the 6-man rotation all winter, so obviously I'm on board with that concept. With the implementation of the pitch clock, I think it's imperative to protect pitchers because they are not being allowed to rest between pitches and this will be a much bigger factor in mid summer.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Um. Wut?

[Phillies' Harper to report to camp Wednesday.]

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Philadelphia Phillies slugger Bryce Harper says he will report to spring training on Wednesday as he continues recovering from elbow surgery and then determine when he can return full time.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2592466
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think this was the plan they announced about 10 days ago. Nothing has really changed.

This story is from Feb. 23.:

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Phillies slugger Bryce Harper is expected to report to Phillies camp on March 8 or 9, according to president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski.

With spring training in its second week, Harper has yet to report. He’s limited in what he can do in his rehab, but Dombrowski did say that Harper has been cleared to take dry swings, meaning he can swing the bat but not hit the baseball.

“He’s doing well,” Dombrowski said. “He texted me back and forth yesterday on a couple things. He’s doing very well in his progress. Doctors are happy with where he is.”

Manager Rob Thomson said Harper is technically ahead of schedule on his rehab, but that’s not necessarily something to be overly optimistic about.

“I think you can say he’s a little bit ahead, but oftentimes, you say that about players and then all of a sudden, they have a setback,” Thomson said. “Just knocking on wood and just gonna make sure we’re careful with how we keep progressing with him.”

The next step for Harper, Thomson says, is working off the tee followed by soft toss and batting practice.

The Phillies estimate he will return to the Phillies lineup as a designated hitter sometime before the All-Star Break. The hope is that Harper can build up his arm and return to right field before the end of the regular season.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

Painter news is taking uncomfortably long. Prob got second/third opinions.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Zolecki: Based on conversations with people about Painter on Monday, there does not seem to be serious concern about his long-term health. But because he is a supremely talented 19-year-old, the Phillies want to handle Painter with care, meaning there is no reason to rush him back.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Good news, bad news on Painter.

Good that there's no structural damage.

Bad that this hurts his chances for making the rotation, at least for now. But it opens the door for someone else to make it a tougher decision.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Taking into account Boras' comments, it seems Phillies are being very deliberate with Painter.

I see that as good news for both the short term & long term. (1) Pitching him significant innings in the big leagues in the first half of the season only serves to make him less available for the far-more-meaningful innings in September/October. (2) Keeping his innings reasonable this year best positions him for long-term success.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Christopher wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:15 pm Taking into account Boras' comments, it seems Phillies are being very deliberate with Painter.

I see that as good news for both the short term & long term. (1) Pitching him significant innings in the big leagues in the first half of the season only serves to make him less available for the far-more-meaningful innings in September/October. (2) Keeping his innings reasonable this year best positions him for long-term success.
Exactly. He's 19. They realize they got something with this kid. No need to rush him.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Although there's some hints now that Boras may be urging the Phillies to be even more cautious with Painter. Workload abuse of very young pitchers has been one of Boras' top concerns in recent years, and he may be trying to make a point with this. I have to think everyone is mostly on the same page; it might just be coming down to some details. And, ultimately, none of this is Boras' call.

IMO, the Phillies saw firsthand a prime example of why it's smart to go slowly with Painter: Spencer Strider.

There's no point in creating a plan for Painter in 2023 that leaves him unavailable or ineffective for October.

If the Braves handle Strider better, the Phillies probably don't win that series.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

LHP Gregory Soto reported to camp today for major league spring training.